Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   MEC 9000 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22938)

CraigThompson 12-14-2017 01:38 PM

MEC 9000

It's already pretty well known that I prefer PW over MEC and it's also a given that decent used MEC 9000's are a darn sight easier to run across then are used PW 800's . So with that being said I just got a fourth 9000 . Already had a 12 a 20 and a 28 , and a week or two ago a second 28 gauge 9000 fell in my lap so to speak . And today I set it up and loaded a few shells just to make sure all worked well and it did . This loader is set up for using Unique and my other is for Universal Clays . Now if the reloader Gods would see fit to drop a nice used 16 gauge 9000 and perhaps a nice used 410 9000 I'd be quite happy .

Bill Davis 12-14-2017 02:07 PM

I'd recommend the 410 press be a Grabber! By rotating the shell plate by hand, you avoid the somewhat erratic nature of the spring drive and the 410 hulls don't wiggle around and spill shot or line up incorrectly under the wad guide! Sometimes the wad with shot gets pulled back up out of the hull when you raise the handle. It just happens. With the 9000, the shell plate starts to move and you have a mess. With the Gabber--you can neutralize the problem with a minimum of fuss. You gotta go nice and easy with the 410 hull on a MEC and the Grabber allows this precision. Speaking from experience..........

Scott Janowski 12-14-2017 04:56 PM

Look at a Spolar. I love mine!

CraigThompson 12-14-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Janowski (Post 230591)
Look at a Spolar. I love mine!

If I were going to put the funds out that a Spolar requires I'd just go ahead and get a PW .

CraigThompson 12-14-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 230562)
I'd recommend the 410 press be a Grabber! By rotating the shell plate by hand, you avoid the somewhat erratic nature of the spring drive and the 410 hulls don't wiggle around and spill shot or line up incorrectly under the wad guide! Sometimes the wad with shot gets pulled back up out of the hull when you raise the handle. It just happens. With the 9000, the shell plate starts to move and you have a mess. With the Gabber--you can neutralize the problem with a minimum of fuss. You gotta go nice and easy with the 410 hull on a MEC and the Grabber allows this precision. Speaking from experience..........

Yeah you may very well be right . I have a friend that has a used 650 410 that I may try and liberate from him .

John Dallas 12-14-2017 09:42 PM

If you're going to use any of the premium loaders, you better shoot a lot, or you'll never recoup your initial investment. (BTW, I love my PW 800 Plus)

CraigThompson 12-14-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 230622)
If you're going to use any of the premium loaders, you better shoot a lot, or you'll never recoup your initial investment. (BTW, I love my PW 800 Plus)

Yeah you're correct I've owned 4 of the 800C's and a pair of 800B's . 800's were what I cut my teeth on when I learned to load .

There was a gunsmith in our town who kinda played at the skeet game before I became interested . And when we would go by his basement/shop I'd go in his personal gunroom and he had 4 800B's sitting there . So I was looking at them and he told me "If you ever start fooling with skeet DO NOT waste your money on 600JR's or whatever buy PW 800B's and be done with it" . So back around 84 or 85 I bought a pair of used 800B's in 12 and 28 followed very shortly by 800C's in 20 and 410 . After about a year I sold the B's and got C's in 12 and 28 as well as a 375 for 10 and 16 . Pretty much the only rifle/pistol loader I've owned and used is a PW Metallic II been using that one for 34 years !

I have an old oak conference table I got from the company my mother used to work forty years ago . When I was heavy into skeet/trap I had the four PW 800's and the 375 mounted on one side this table . Always thought it looked kinda cool LOL's ! Now that conference table has my Metallic II , a CH4D press for the 505 Gibbs , a Lyman Lubrisizer and two MEC loaders mounted .

You know I kept track of the amount I loaded when I first started and near as I could figure not counting my time I pretty much got my money back out of the 800C's within two years . I shot A LOT then and I got them all new for about $500 a piece . Two from Jim Cunnigham and two from Jim Tyrell when he was the club manager at Fairfax R&G .

John Dallas 12-15-2017 10:54 AM

My loading cost for 12 gauge (I sold all my other loaders) is $4.25. Good thing I like to spend time loading, because it isn't a great savings versus promotional shells bought at the right time. I would like to think that my shells are "better" than the promotional shells, but, a former National Sporting Clays champion told me that he doesn't shoot well enough to see the difference between cheap and expensive shells

Rich Anderson 12-15-2017 05:48 PM

I have the Mec 9000 in 16,20,28, and 410. Other than the 28 they are all set up for the 2 1/2 inch hull. I'd buy a 12 but I can buy shells so cheap and I really don't shoot much 12ga anymore.

I have never had an issue with any of them.

Chuck Bishop 12-15-2017 05:55 PM

I bought a slightly used 28ga. 9000 and had problems with new magnum size 8 shot bridging at the bottom of the rammer tube. What I discovered is that that bag of shot, even though new, it was bought years ago and some of the shot had oxidized, not allowing it to flow smoothly. Bought a fresh bad and problem was resolved but what a mess it makes, shot all over the place!