Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Parker 16ga PH (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38188)

Michael L Davis 01-05-2023 08:37 AM

Parker 16ga PH

2 Attachment(s)
I found this forum after I started looking for information on a Parker 16ga PH I recently purchased. The back story is, my dad shot a 16 Parker that belonged to a friend of his for several years when I was growing up. I had the opportunity to shoot it a bit on some of our quail hunts, it was of course a very nice bird hunting gun. That was back in the early thru late 70's. I have always wanted to own one, and I am finally in the place where I have some time for bird hunting again and have the wherewithal to buy one.
I found this one for sale and (no pun intended) pulled the trigger. I probably paid a premium price for it, but it is the one I wanted. I look forward to trying it out soon.
Attachment 113124
Attachment 113123

Garry L Gordon 01-05-2023 08:42 AM

Michael, that’s a beauty, and if it serves you well, you paid exactly the right price for it. Now, I hope you can find birds to hunt.

Michael L Davis 01-05-2023 09:04 AM

Thanks Garry. Fortunately I have a friend with bird dogs, and a nearby shooting preserve, so I expect to be breaking it in before much longer!

keavin nelson 01-05-2023 09:31 AM

They didn't make that many PH 16 ga guns and the book says it is a PP with 26" Parker steel barrels which makes it a bit scarcer yet. I am sure it handles like a dream!

I see you are a new member, so welcome to the fold!

Michael L Davis 01-05-2023 09:42 AM

Thanks for the welcome Keavin! It does indeed handle like a dream. After shooting my 10ga Browning BPS for the duck/goose season, the Parker feels like a feather in the hand!

keavin nelson 01-05-2023 09:46 AM

Michael, there is the Southern SXS coming up in the spring, in Sanford, NC. If you haven't been you should try to attend.

Michael L Davis 01-05-2023 10:17 AM

Thanks for the tip Keavin. I just googled it and it looks like a great event. I am only about an hour away so I feel pretty sure I will be making a trip over there to check it out! (albeit I won't be ready to make a run in the competition, yet)

Harry Collins 01-05-2023 10:37 AM

Even if you don't shoot, the people you will meet are the best. The finest guns will be on display and vendors galore.

Bill Murphy 01-05-2023 10:44 AM

The number of PH grade 16 gauge Parkers with 26" fluid steel barrels made is estimated at 31 by the authors of The Parker Story as I recall. This is an extrapolated total because of the many missing stock books in the era of fluid steel P grades. Extrapolated can be defined as "a wild ass guess created from limited true research numbers". The number could be higher or lower than the totals mentioned in TPS. Regardless, it is a scarce gun made in very small numbers.

Michael L Davis 01-05-2023 10:48 AM

Thanks for that Bill. I sent in my request for a research letter yesterday, now I am very curious to see what I will get back! The fact it may well be a rare gem is great, but I am happy to have it regardless (and it will still be a shooter for me).