Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Grouse and timberdoodles in the U.P. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28390)

Kenny Graft 10-18-2019 06:34 PM

Grouse and timberdoodles in the U.P.

4 Attachment(s)
Headed north for the 2nd year to hunt grouse and woodcock. We hunt the Felch area that has a Gem near there. The whole area is good and we are still finding coverts to hunt. I rent a cabin and hunt with a good friend who also goes with me to Kansas each year. Weather looks like it will be a mixed bag but not horrible. Guns will be a CSMC Fox XE-16, Pape 16 box lock at 5lbs-11oz, Parker VH-16 O frame 26" and a Parker repro 26" double trigger gun. I plan to have it with me and hope to get into cock with it. Harold and Cob will be in the area and I hope to hook up with them for a bourbon or two! Pics from last years hunt,, SXS Ohio

charlie cleveland 10-18-2019 08:52 PM

fine pictures and that dog isreally special....charlie

Patrick Lien 10-18-2019 09:35 PM

Oh, I like your dog!

PML

Daniel G Rainey 10-19-2019 07:10 AM

Have good hunt. Unwind relax have fun.

Brett Hoop 10-19-2019 11:42 PM

Hope you guys have good weather, and find’em.

Kenny Graft 10-28-2019 06:41 AM

Back home wet and tired....

7 Attachment(s)
We arrived in Felch MI about 7 PM Saturday 19th October 2019. Got out hunting on Sunday, it was to be my best day of gunning. Moved 26 birds and bagged 4 with 6 shots only missed one bird outright and took two hits to bring down one of the heavy armored f16-s big 2nd season bird. With shooting skill like that you tend to puff up a little.....well all that makes for bad gun mount and your shooting sucks for the next few days, in my case the rest of the week....)-: The truth is some days you just get birds in the open or you get lucky or both. The rest of my week saw few open shots....there is always a tree!! Following my setter in prime habitat like we hunted in puts a smile on my face, even if the birds beat your best work! The picture of me with my cowboy hat was a rain day, I'm pretty wet....that hat is a oil treated hat and with the big brim kept my glasses free of rain drops. Yes that is my made for me CSMC Fox XE-16 out in the rain with me, its my rain gun! Back at the cabin I set her behind the wood stove for a bit, got her warm and dry then cleaned her up just like new. I took 3 other shotguns on this hunt but only used the little Fox made for me. I had her built with two sets of barrels, one for the north woods and one set for the western prairie and roosters. SXS Ohio

Garry L Gordon 10-28-2019 08:02 AM

Kenny, great report! You need to post more photos of that gorgeous Gordon Setter!! Have fun.

Dean Romig 10-28-2019 09:49 AM

Nice holster Kenny, I use the same one for my 5906.

We have skidder ruts like those all over the areas I hunt though they haven't been logged for close to three decades.

Marty Kohler 10-28-2019 08:04 PM

Fox

What a gorgeous gun!..... great looking cover and dog....you are blessed!

Brett Hoop 10-29-2019 06:46 AM

Kenny great to see the pictures! Proper UP ready kit, and I see you did find'em. Connecting on grouse is a bonus, I know you see each one as a trophy For sure just being there with Ruby are the treasured memories.

I wasn't able to make it to the North Woods, but Harold has thankfully provided me with updates and photos every few days that lift my spirit. I know for myself no matter how many miles I tromp through the covers worn, weary and sore I am planning the return before I leave.