Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   H Gough signature illustrated (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1811)

Bob Roberts 05-06-2010 11:58 AM

H Gough signature illustrated

1 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago Tom Schiffer and I spent a long Monday afternoon visiting with Jack Haugh, a friend for over thirty five years who has built custom guns for both of us, and perhaps has done work for some on this forum. After sitting for several hours talking in the parlor of the house, Jack, also wanting to stretch his legs, took us out to the shop to check his reference books on several points about finishing formulae which he had brought up earlier in the discussion. After expounding for several minutes on how to impart a subtle silver tone to a niter blue finish through precise chemical introduction and replenishment, he pulled out a box of color photos to illustrate this objective. While searching through the three inch stack of prints for a particular shot he suddenly said, “Bob, here’s something you don’t see every day” and handed me the attached detail image. He went on, “it’s off a double A, you boys like Parkers, don’t you?”

The inscription you might find difficult to read in the photo says is, “H Gough Designer & Engraver.” Not recalling if this was illustrated in TPS, Jack was kind enough to let me borrow the photograph until I could could check it out and scan it for the forum if not. It is not; however, H(arry) Gough is referenced twice and this method of signature is described. I hope you will find seeing this as surprising and interesting as Tom and I did.

Dean Romig 05-06-2010 02:11 PM

Thank you Bob for the wonderful picture of Harry Gough's signature. That is a great addition to known "Parkerology" and I'm going to 'copy it to file' for future reference.
Dean

Jim Thynne 04-24-2011 09:12 PM

I have seen Gogh's signature on more than one A.A.
These are the early A.A.'s when they were the top grade.
The A.1 special was yet to be born.
We recently sold one, and there was another We sold some time ago.
These A. A. guns are some of the most beautiful that were made in Meridan.
Each gun was engraved differently. But, Gough's is the only signature we have seen.

Austin W Hogan 04-30-2011 02:37 PM

Gough Engraving

The signature will be covered by the trigger gaurd; Gough is known to have done this several times.
Thanks Bob; it is a real treat to see this.

Best Austin

Jim Thynne 05-02-2011 11:41 PM

One I saw said designed and engraved by H.Gogh 19XX and yes, was covered by the trigger guard.
If you look carefully in front of the guard and very near the area it screws into the action, you sometimes can see a little of the signature, but you must remove the trigger guard to read the inscription.

John Havard 01-27-2013 01:39 PM

Three questions:

1) Does anybody know if Gough personally designed and engraved B or C-grades during his tenure at Meriden, or did he only design and engrave A's?

2) Is there any evidence or a general belief that he signed each one of his personally-designed and executed works?

3) Did he ever sign his Parker work anyplace other than underneath the trigger guard?

Bruce Day 01-27-2013 02:49 PM

John, what I know about your question:

1. There are B's and C's that have engraving that look near identical to Gough signed A's. Other than that similarity, I don't know.

2. I have only seen his signature on a few high grade guns, but not on near identically engraved, but less coverage, B's and C's.

3. I have not seen it anyplace else. But my knowledge is very limited.

Maybe check with Charlie Price or Bill Mullins?

A person may have his suspicions, but that's all they are without having the signature. On the other hand, we know he signed some, why not all if he in fact did the engraving? Maybe others just copied his style. I don't think we will ever know.

George M. Purtill 01-27-2013 03:28 PM

That is so cool.

Tom Carter 01-27-2013 03:40 PM

H Gough

The gun Dr. Drew showed with the barrel smudges has the initials HG on the left side plate. You must use a magnifying glass as it is very hard to see. It was deliverd in April 1881. I don't know if H Gough was at Parker Brothers at that time or not. Someone else with more knowledge may know. I suppose it could have been contracted out but who knows? I certainly don't.
Cheers, Tom

Jay Gardner 01-27-2013 03:41 PM

This is kind of like finding Waldo.