Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do gold inlays hold up to hunting use? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24296)

Kenny Graft 05-20-2018 12:28 PM

Do gold inlays hold up to hunting use?

3 Attachment(s)
I am ordering a CSMC Fox FE and would like to know how well gold inlaid dogs will or will not hold up on the belly of a Fox 28guage used for grouse hunting. It will have color case metal and could be engraved with or with out the gold. The sides of the receiver will have gold birds engraved and will take much less wear. I like the gold inlays but worry how long before they show use and loose their detail? How well did the gold inlays hold up on the old time guns from the golden age of SXS guns? Any input would be helpful. I added two pictures, one without gold and one with. The gun with the gold inlay has not been hunted yet. The gun with the non gold setter has field use for three seasons now. thanks all SXS Ohio

Bill Zachow 05-20-2018 04:57 PM

Depemds on the fineness of the gold and how the inlay was done. Too eliminate a quick loss of detail, you shouldhave the engraver use no higher than 14 karat butpreferably 10 K, alloyedwith copper. A competentengraver will undercut the edges where the inlaywillgo,then hammer in the gold so it fills in the undercuts and finally, then engrave the secure gold piece.

Kevin McCormack 05-20-2018 05:37 PM

In my bunker shooting heyday, one of the people we shot with regularly shot a Remington 1100 F Grade Trap with gold inlays, one of which was a pheasant. As the referee called a station change, the shooter next to him noticed that the head of the gold inlayed pheasant had popped off his gun. Since it was practice round, the referee allowed a stop for a few minutes until the precious head was found. It reminded me of a woman losing a diamond out of a ring; three of the shooters on their hands and knees combing the grass borders of the concrete pad. I'm not sure if it had happened in registered competition that he would have been allowed to look for it just then.

Rich Anderson 05-20-2018 07:05 PM

I have a CSM FE along with a Paker and a LeFever Optimus that all have gold inlays and I have never had a problem with any of them.

Mark Ray 05-20-2018 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some with 119 years of carry wear....1898 Lindner Daly 20 bore, that has seen LOTS of action over time!

Kenny Graft 05-21-2018 06:50 AM

Gold inlays...

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks all....I think I will go with the gold inlayed setters. I felt the gun would not be what it should be if the belly engraving was not gold to match the rest of the guns gold. The attached picture is what the engraver will be working with for the belly engraving. I have spent many hours planning this FE-special build for a grouse gun. It with showcase Grouse, Woodcock and Setters in woodland settings. Specs will be 28gauge, 27" barrels, open chokes, PG-DT-BTF, skeleton steel plate and a light 5lbs-8 to 5lbs-10 I ordered this gun back in February and will take about 1 year to complete. SXS Ohio.....(-:

Karl Ferguson 05-21-2018 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Kenny,

The gold inlays that Angelo Bee done still look the same after many years of use.

Ken Hill 05-21-2018 10:10 AM

Hey Kenny,

I would have thought you would put a Gordon setter on the gun. :-)

Ken

Bill Murphy 05-21-2018 12:42 PM

My gold guns are wearing just fine. By the way, Kevin, did you guys ever find the gold pheasant's head? However, that non gold CSMC gun is just outstanding.

Kevin McCormack 05-21-2018 03:38 PM

Yes, we found it in just under 5 minutes. The shooter put the gun up and finished the round with a c. early 1950s Grade V Superposed, like he should have been using all along.