Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My first Parker SxS (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41682)

alex hurley 04-12-2024 09:15 AM

My first Parker SxS

5 Attachment(s)
Howdy gents, it's my firsts post on this forum. I'm mostly Colt SAA collector but came across this shotgun while buying other guns for my collection, price of $650 seemed right and we shook hands. Did some research on this forum and it looks like I got 1902 Grade 0 VHE. Please correct me if I'm wrong or any other info on this Parker would be greatly appreciated. And another question can I shoot modern ammo like clay/target birdshots through it or reloading a must?

alex hurley 04-12-2024 09:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more pics...........

Dave Noreen 04-12-2024 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice. A quintessential Parker Bros.

But, point of order, with the plain extractor it is a Quality VH, not a VHE.

Here is the Quality V.H. page from the circa 1901 Parker Bros. catalog that introduces the automatic ejectors.

Attachment 125181

Note at that time they didn't carry this entry-level quality in stock with ejectors.

No one can tell you over the internet what ammunition may or may not be safe in a given shotgun. That requires hands-on inspection by a qualified smith with the proper tools and knowledge. That said, a sound 2-frame 12-gauge should be able to handle any SAAMI spec 2 3/4-inch lead loads. Whether one wants to subject 122-year-old wood to the recoil forces of high velocity 1 1/4-ounce loads is another question.

Russell E. Cleary 04-12-2024 10:41 AM

Alex:

You are a confirmed collector already (Colt SAA).

Consider joining the Parker Gun Collectors Association as full member, with all the benefits that accrue to that for $40 per year.

Where are you located?

Brian Dudley 04-12-2024 11:12 AM

Providing the guns barrels check out as being sound. The gun should be able to digest most any modern target load of the proper length for the chambers in the gun.

Dean Romig 04-12-2024 01:29 PM

As long as the action and barrels are tight with no wiggle or wobble. Shooting a gun that isn't tight on face will only hasten the day when it will be unsuitable for shooting.

alex hurley 04-12-2024 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 409112)
Alex:

Consider joining the Parker Gun Collectors Association as full member, with all the benefits that accrue to that for $40 per year.

Where are you located?

I will consider, I'm in NY or FL

alex hurley 04-12-2024 08:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 409112)
Alex:

Where are you located?

I will consider, I'm in NY or FL
3 weeks ago at Baltimore show picked up nice Colt SxS shotgun in 12GA, maybe will reload some BP loads, Damascus barrel you know ...

alex hurley 04-12-2024 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 409109)
Very nice. A quintessential Parker Bros.

But, point of order, with the plain extractor it is a Quality VH, not a VHE.

Here is the Quality V.H. page from the circa 1901 Parker Bros. catalog that introduces the automatic ejectors.

Attachment 125181

Note at that time they didn't carry this entry-level quality in stock with ejectors.

No one can tell you over the internet what ammunition may or may not be safe in a given shotgun. That requires hands-on inspection by a qualified smith with the proper tools and knowledge. That said, a sound 2-frame 12-gauge should be able to handle any SAAMI spec 2 3/4-inch lead loads. Whether one wants to subject 122-year-old wood to the recoil forces of high velocity 1 1/4-ounce loads is another question.

I was thinking about 1 1/8 ounce load

Brian Dudley 04-15-2024 07:35 AM

I personally feel like 1-1/8 oz loads are overkill for most shooting. The felt recoil is mich more than a 7/8 or 1oz load. As well as stress on the gun.