Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Minnesota grouse and woodcock (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34462)

Brian Hornacek 10-09-2021 08:40 PM

Minnesota grouse and woodcock

10 Attachment(s)
Just finished up 6 days in Minnesota hunting woodcock and grouse with Tom Wooden. The last 3 were with Bruce Day where he shared some of his local knowledge and experience in finding the best covers which provided plenty of birds with shooting opportunities. His setter Fielder and pointer Bert did not disappoint us in providing many chances to harvest birds. I am fortunate to have had another experience with Bruce in the field. He is a true gentleman with many charming Inn’s, local restaurants and Ice cream parlors with homemade pies on his radar.

We also had the Alaska fishing guide Brett Vana helping guide Bruce through any tricky covers.

Pictured is the 2022 PGCA raffle gun, more on that later.
I shot a 16 gauge DH Damascus
Tom shot a 20 gauge GHE
Bruce shot his spectacular 20 gauge CHE Damascus

Take note of my woodcock in a tree…

Reggie Bishop 10-10-2021 05:28 AM

Beautiful country, outstanding dogs, Parker shotguns and good friends. Doesn't get any better! Thanks for posting!

Harold Lee Pickens 10-10-2021 07:35 AM

Great pictures, how about a few more! I'm packing up for my trip to the UP, leaving the 15th and coming back Nov 2. This will be my 36th year in the UP, sometimes I feel like a local. The troubles of the world seem to melt away once I get there. My best friend Terry will be going up for a week, we have hunted together since grade school. My son Jeremy is coming up for his first trip after Terry leaves, that could be interesting.
I'm packing my VHE 20, a PH 16, a Ugartechea 28, and a 20 ga hammer gun. The dogs , 3 setters, are in shape and ready to go. Planning on going back up in December, pending weather/snowfall, and a late season foray to South Dakota or Kansas.

Garry L Gordon 10-10-2021 04:41 PM

Great photos! I hope you guys left some birds. We are headed up on the 16th for our annual two week+ hunt. Looks like we will have warm weather the first week, and much cooler the 2nd. Like Harold, we've been going for well over 30 years and have seen coverts come and go.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. It gets the juices flowing as we sit here in 85 degree temps.

Dean Romig 10-10-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 345672)
Great photos! Like Harold, we've been going for well over 30 years and have seen coverts come and go.

Yep, and populations rise and fall. The cycle of the natural world.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-10-2021 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last October was the snowiest in recorded history, this year has to be the hottest. Got the truck set up for bird hunting today.

Bruce Day 10-14-2021 09:33 AM

8 Attachment(s)
A great time with great friends . A few more photos . We got Brian and Tom into a 6 grouse covey flush on Bert’s point. And the last day was over 30 wood cock up and 15 grouse up . Home for a rest then back up to the Northwest Angle for divers , then south for grouse then into SoDak for pheasant . Bert and Fielder will be tired . Bert is 8 years old now and I have been in contact with the inheritor of the Elhew line in discussions.

And maybe it is true that I know where the best blueberry pie and ice cream can be found . All things that a bird hunter needs to know. But I am not alone there .

Mike Koneski 10-14-2021 11:08 AM

Great photos guys! Glad to see you had a good trip. Save some of the reports for a Parker Pages story!!

Gary Laudermilch 10-14-2021 07:27 PM

Bruce, what brand of vest are you wearing. Looks like something I'd be interested in.

Bruce Day 10-15-2021 09:33 AM

That is just an inexpensive vest that we had printed with the Parker team name and individual names when we did the Sharptail shootout ten years ago . This year we did shirts.
I like strap vests best.

The Sandhills Sharptail Shootout in Mullen Nebraska third weekend in Sept is a fun event and great way to kick off the season . I would like to see two teams from the PGCA next year. ( shameless promotion from a Sandhills Shootout director.)