Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Anyone have a repro oil bottle? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23721)

John Nagel 03-17-2018 10:10 PM

Anyone have a repro oil bottle?

Saw a repro oil bottle at the Baltimore show today and I didn't know they existed. I would really like to have one and am willing to pay good money.

Jeff Kuss 03-17-2018 11:25 PM

They came in the case.

Dean Romig 03-18-2018 07:46 AM

I wonder why so many cased Repros in 'as new' condition are missing the original snap caps and oil bottles...?

Robin Lewis 03-18-2018 07:50 AM

I bought my Parker Reproduction with case and cover and the only thing in the case was the key. I saw the compartments but I assumed if I wanted one I had to buy the bottle later.

Greg Baehman 03-18-2018 08:57 AM

Many, if not most, of those oil bottles encountered having "Parker Reproduction" on them are not original. But, instead were produced and sold by Cape Outfitters in Cape Girardeau, MO. Several years ago I had a conversation with Jeff from Jeff's Outfitters and Jeff told me of the time he was working for Don Shrum, the owner Cape Outfitters when Don put together a 3 item "Parker Reproduction Accessory Set" that included a pair of snap caps, an oil bottle and a cleaning rod. They sold them like hot cakes for $109.95/set. Shrum had the components engraved by a local trophy or jewelry shop. I don't know why someone couldn't do the same thing today.

Scot Cardillo 03-18-2018 09:15 AM

How can one tell if they have an original or one borne from the Cape Outfitters effort?

John, the only one I've ever seen in the last couple of yrs was offered on ebay for silly money. It's gone so I presume someone bought it.

Eric Eis 03-18-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lewis (Post 238459)
I bought my Parker Reproduction with case and cover and the only thing in the case was the key. I saw the compartments but I assumed if I wanted one I had to buy the bottle later.

Just like Robin, I bought my two barrel set 28 ga new and it didn't come with oil bottle or snap caps. I think Greg is correct as I remember Cape Outfitters selling that kit and telling myself I should buy one but didn't! :banghead: I don't think they came from the factory with them, just aftermarket.

Scot Cardillo 03-18-2018 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't the high grade guns come with an oil bottle as part of the package?

Eric Eis 03-18-2018 10:23 AM

Good question, mine was just a D grade. Maybe someone with all the catalogs could check to see if they were available as an option or came with the higher grade guns.

Greg Baehman 03-18-2018 10:56 AM

I've always assumed that the Parker Reproduction marked oil bottles that accompanied the A-1 Special or B-Grade guns were original, but I'm not positive. I just assumed, like the original snap caps, that they were sourced from Parker Hale in England.

Eric, having bought your D-Grade Repro new, I'm surprised to hear that the snap caps weren't included. I had thought that all the new guns included them. When I purchased my 1st Repro back in 1995 during the closeout, there was a note with the gun and case saying that new buyers would be receiving the snap caps at a later date. Mine came a few weeks later and every subsequent Repro DHE that I've purchased have come with the snap caps - but no oil bottle or cleaning rod.