Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Stock Extension (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30457)

George Davis 06-18-2020 06:36 PM

Stock Extension

I have a beautiful 2 Frame 1895 G Grade gun with a short length of pull and it matches the factory letter. Hence don't want to cut the stock and remove the widows peak and put on a thick recoil pad. So my thoughts are someone must make a spacer with the widows peak which then I could add a recoil pad. I'm open to any thoughts, suggestions, ideas or hopefully a supplier for such a spacer. Thanks in advance.

Brian Dudley 06-18-2020 07:55 PM

Maintaining the spur with a recoil pad is not an issue.

Phillip Carr 06-18-2020 08:52 PM

George I have a 1 1/2” Silvers style pad with the widows peak if that would work.

Brian Dudley 06-18-2020 08:54 PM

It is important to note that the spurs that are on modern day silvers pads are way smaller than that of a dogs head buttplate. Or even compared to old original silvers pads.

Phillip Carr 06-18-2020 09:09 PM

Yes I don’t disagree but a few I have had fit locally by Frank Wells before he retired.
I believe he used an epoxy and the fit and finish was very nice.
Personally I don’t care for the look of the extra thick pads but I like it better than a wood extension unless blended properly, and the difference is cost is substantial.

Chuck Bishop 06-18-2020 10:01 PM

I've done it with a black KickEzz pad and black dyed Acra Glas. You would have never known the widows peak was not original to the pad.

George Davis 06-19-2020 10:06 AM

Phil, I would love to purchase one of your pad if it's available. Thanks

Dean Romig 06-19-2020 10:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I wanted to fit a recoil pad to my old GH about 15 years ago so I took the worn and chipped DHBP to my belt sander clamped in my bench vise and managed to shape the spur to the right shape and angle and epoxied it to the base of the pad. You can make the joint invisible if you work a little harder at it than I did. Unfortunately you can't see the spur in these pictures but it is there.

And yes, this is the original American black walnut stock on this 1903 GH 12 gauge. I don't know who owns the gun today. I sold it to Wildwood Guns in China Maine about 8-10 years ago. The last picture is from their website ad.

Phillip Carr 06-19-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Davis (Post 305240)
Phil, I would love to purchase one of your pad if it's available. Thanks

PM sent

Bob Brown 06-24-2020 12:43 PM

I had a VH with an old, particularly well fitted Silvers pad on it that I thought the pad peak was very well done. A closer look showed the "black spacer" appeared to be the original DHBP that had been filed flat and the pad glued to it. Perhaps a new repro butt plate could fit and a pad added in the same way? The original could always be put back on later.