Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bachelder's work continues to be stellar (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26528)

William Cawley 02-14-2019 07:03 PM

Bachelder's work continues to be stellar

6 Attachment(s)
This is recent work from Bachelder's team. I'm quite pleased.

Roger Lay 02-14-2019 07:41 PM

What a beauty!

Jay Gardner 02-14-2019 07:53 PM

Good to see. I stopped in last month, first time since Brad passed. A few new faces but Parker and Lori seem to have a firm handle on the business. They are definitely busy, but that’s a positive. No one else I would trust with one of my firearms.

JDG

Bill Holcombe 02-14-2019 10:09 PM

Good to hear. I have a set of barrels I am eagerly awaiting the return of.

Tom Jay 02-14-2019 10:10 PM

Well...glad to see some Bachelder projects are progressing to completion. My Damascus barrels have been there for 2.5 years with nothing but excuses for the little amount of work that had been been done. Hopefully, per Parker recently, they are now on track with their completion but I’m still looking at 6 months away before I get the barrels back. Ugh.

Dean Romig 02-14-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Jay (Post 265898)
Well...glad to see some Bachelder projects are progressing to completion. My Damascus barrels have been there for 2.5 years with nothing but excuses for the little amount of work that had been been done. Hopefully, per Parker recently, they are now on track with their completion but I’m still looking at 6 months away before I get the barrels back. Ugh.

Unacceptable IMO.

Bill Holcombe 02-14-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

What work were you having done to them? Thats a long time for refinish or even having ribs relayed, but if there was some major restoration work having to be done it is believable. I know Brads sudden passing got them behind, but they would have been there with Brad for over a year?

I only ask because that hasn't been my experience or the experiences I have seen from others. My previous set I sent them took 6 months instead of 4 because Brad said he didn't like how they came out and rebrowned them again.

Steve Huffman 02-15-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Im going through the same thing two sets of my barrels are with someone else now for over 3 years sent from my PO 8/8/15 I feel your pain !

Harry Collins 02-15-2019 06:44 AM

Wow!
Brad did several things for me and the turn around was within a few months. One job was fitting and re coloring a set of Damascus barrels to the VH Sherman Bell had his way with.

Dean Romig 02-15-2019 07:51 AM

We know when we send a gun out for work that we are not the only customer they have and should never expect to be put ahead of others, no matter who we are or how much work we have had done there in the past.
That said, and that being something we accept when we send our guns, we should also expect that other jobs, no matter how big or small, should not be placed before ours.

There’s some idioms I learned early in my business life a long time ago...

LIFO - FIFO - FISH all refer to inventory control and they also should pertain to how a business takes care of it’s clients. Ideally, FIFO should pertain to gunsmiths.

LIFO = Last In First Out - not how a business retains it’s customers.
FIFO = First In First Out - the fairest way to treat customers.
FISH = First In Still Here - your business will soon be dead because of word of mouth of the poor way you treat your customers.

The owners of a business who work on the FISH principal have taken in far more work than they can ever hope to complete in a reasonable amount of time and this appears to be about where we are in the case of the shop we are discussing.

I am delighted with the quality of work Brad has done for me but Brad is, sadly, gone - though he did have a set of barrels of mine for about 2 1/2 years.

Once a gun is taken from the ‘holding pen’ and goes to a worker’s bench, and then on to another bench and so on, it shouldn’t take more than a few weeks before it is ready for rust blueing or color case hardening. Those two processes, in an efficently and economically run shop, will necessarily take the longest, waiting for other barrels, frames and small parts to also be ready for those processes and to make it an economically feasible process. Over a year to wait is unacceptable and indicates to me that, not only have they taken in too much work but they are also working on guns out of sequence or using the LIFO principal.