Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Parker 1895 GH Damascus double (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22558)

Thomas Baker 10-29-2017 10:49 AM

Parker 1895 GH Damascus double

I just purchased the aforementioned double with a broken stock which I plan on replacing. The rest of the gun is in great shape with good engraving no rust or pitting anywhere. Does the value of a gun decrease when restocked? Will the value of the gun decrease if I reblue the barrels? The Damascus pattern is all but invisible under a brown patina. I would also like to re-color case harden the frame. The colors there are gone also. Any info/sugestions will be appreciated.

Eric Eis 10-29-2017 10:54 AM

You do not Reblue Damascus Barrels !

Brian Dudley 10-29-2017 11:09 AM

Well... the value of the gun will certainly be more than it is now if the stock is replaced. Since you will have a working gun as compared to one that is damaged. And the value will be improved even more so if the restock is done true and correct to Parker style.

If you were paying a professional for the stock work, the gun would not appreciate the amount that you paid for the work. If you do it yourself, the labor is free, but depending on ability the reaults may not be as good.

John Campbell 10-29-2017 11:45 AM

Depending on how "broken" then stock is, why not have it repaired and restored? The barrels can be refinished, too. But I'd not re-case any classic gun if you can avoid it. The craftsmen who post here can help you with any of this work. And they're worth the money.

Rick Losey 10-29-2017 03:56 PM

Thomas

I would suggest posting good pictures of the stock

Then you could get opinions on if it can be repaired
That might save something compared to a restock

Brian Hornacek 10-29-2017 07:19 PM

Re-stock or repair, damascus refinish or reblue and case colour.....if you want it done reasonably correct you are looking at $1500 to $2500 investment in a gun that will be worth between $1000 and $1500 depending on work quality. Think about buying a real nice original GH Damascus gun for around $1500-$2000 and selling yours to the next guy looking for a fixer upper for $500-$700, just guessing value if the barrels are real clean.

Thomas Baker 10-29-2017 08:22 PM

I may have used the wrong term when I said reblue. I am very familiar with the refinishing of Damascus and twist barrels as I have redone many.

The stock on this gun is beyond repair. Half of the stock is wood filler. I will be refinishing the barrels myself and do much of the stock work myself also so I will not have a lot invested in the work. I have been doing this as hobby for years and have had color case hardening redone with good results. Why would you say not to do it. I will only have around $1200 invested plus the satisfaction that I did it. My work, I’ve been told is very good. Completion will take 5-6 months but when it is complete I will post pictures. Please don’t think I am being arrogant, I appreciate the comments and believe you are never too old to learn even at 72. I just enjoy doing what I do. Thanks
Tom

Dean Romig 10-29-2017 08:46 PM

Looking forward to seeing the pictures when it's done.

Brian Hornacek 10-29-2017 08:51 PM

You asked about value as though you were making an investment to make money or expect a return. I misread the fact that you were looking for something to keep you busy. It's like a classic car, labor is free when you do it yourself but satisfaction overcomes that. Enjoy and certainly you should tear into it.

Ted Hicks 10-30-2017 07:12 AM

I missed what gauge this gun is and if it is a 12 ga, then I'd be on the fence about spending a lot on restoration. Re-stocking it to get it back afield would be noble. If it's a sub gauge gun, there may be more value to get out of putting a new stock and refinishing the barrels.

If you are doing the work yourself and want to have a beautiful gun to hunt with, well have at it! I'd love to see the before and after photos of it.