Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tru oil versus Timberlux (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23879)

David Penland 04-05-2018 11:04 AM

Tru oil versus Timberlux

For those who have used both Tru oil and Timberlux, which do you think is best for gunstock finish? Thanks for your input.

Steve Huffman 04-05-2018 01:29 PM

I hate Tru oil and never used Timberlux But I think others have and like it they will chime in .

chris dawe 04-05-2018 02:11 PM

Tru oil needs to be thinned ,it makes a good tough finish - but the thickness IMO can make it troublesome to apply .

I have no experience with Timberlux ,but I've heard good things .
Permalyn is another great product .

There are as many opinions over finish as we have Arse****s,but I have always personally felt the method of application is most important

Eric Eis 04-05-2018 04:32 PM

I too have heard great things about Timberlux, (I don't like Tru Oil) and I was going to order some but he charges $15 for shipping one jar ! That's a little excessive.

Brian Dudley 04-05-2018 07:08 PM

Tru-oil is a very good versitle finish that can be used to acheive a varitey of types of finishes.
For someone with not much experience and working on general projects, they cant go wrong with it.

Timberluxe is good as well, and is a lot better at getting some color into the wood since it has some color to it itself. It is a better finish for getting the right look on older guns. Not that it is hard to work with or anything, but it is different than tru-oil for sure. It definately has a longer dry time or ahoukd i say cure time.

Chuck Bishop 04-05-2018 08:34 PM

I don't like True Oil and haven't tried Timberlux. I like Pro Custom Oil and I know many stockmakers that like it too.

Mike McKinney 04-05-2018 10:14 PM

Brian Board maker of Timberluxe is usually at the Southern. Might check to see and buy the product there or have someone to pick it up. A great product.

Eric Eis 04-05-2018 10:23 PM

If he's at the Southern I'll pick up a jar as I want to try the product.

Fred Lauer 04-06-2018 12:08 AM

I've used Tru Oil for 50 years and am able to get an excellent smooth finish with it every time. I thin it, mix stain with it when I need too and do a sanded in finish that takes about a week to complete. It ain't for a man in a hurry. I've never used Timberlux but I have copied the shape of their duck calls which I think are very attractive especially with some hand checkering added to the barrel.

Mark Beasland 04-06-2018 08:25 AM

Like anyone that repairs or restores stocks I was always looking for something better and I tried a pile of finishes over the years. I am a big fan of TL. I use it for complete refinish jobs, It blends well with most existing finishes for repairs and brightens up dry finishes. It works best in low humidity and applied sparingly.

Like my mentor has said many times "this may not be the only way to do this or the best but is the way I do it.