Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gunsmith (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26926)

Charlie Diehl 03-29-2019 06:57 AM

Gunsmith

Looking for a qualified gunsmith to inspect my Parker 20 to make certain it is still safe to shoot. Any recommendations?

Dean Romig 03-29-2019 07:00 AM

There are a lot of them around the country Charlie - maybe there’s one within driving distance, where are you?

Charlie Diehl 03-29-2019 07:13 AM

I live in Venice Florida. Any qualified Parker gunsmiths nearby?

Harry Collins 03-29-2019 10:49 AM

Charlie,

Please tell us about your Parker 20 and your concerns. As a side note I went to Kentucky Military Institute and our winter quarters were in Venice.

Harry

Charlie Diehl 03-29-2019 11:03 AM

It is a 20 ga DHE and the screw immediately in front of the trigger guard is not aligned with the two other screws in the trigger plate. Looks like an unqualified person turned this screw without the proper tools and it is slightly distorted. No sure if this would create a problem but thought it should be checked. Just bought this gun on Guns Intl and have not received it yet.

Harry Collins 03-29-2019 11:17 AM

Sounds like a great little Parker. I think you are wise to have it checked out. Sometimes those screws just don’t get tightened or work loose. There is a bit of redundancy as there are a total of five screws holding the floor plate. The three you see, the one under the top lever and the one that comes up behind the safety.

Charlie Diehl 03-29-2019 11:55 AM

All of the screws on this gun are in perfect and correct alignment with the exception of the screw immediately in front of the trigger guard (partially beneath the trigger guard). Also, none of the other screws in the gun have any imperfections in the slots so if they had ever been removed in the past it was done with the proper tools.

When did you attend KMI? I attended 1960-62. Were you originally from eastern Kentucky?

Charlie Diehl 03-29-2019 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;270288]There are a lot of them around the country Charlie - maybe there’s one within driving distance, where are you?

Venice Florida 15 mi south of Sarasota. Is there a list of qualified Parker gunsmiths available on the PGCA website?

Russell E. Cleary 03-29-2019 09:15 PM

Charlie:

If you click HOME PAGE to the upper left; then FAQs low in the column on the left; you will then see at the top of the FAQs listed: #1 "NEED A GUNSMITH?".

It is a long Thread that lists gunsmiths that have been recommended by individuals on this Forum and usually their specific areas of expertise.

Here is more good advice posted previously by OH Osthaus:

“…..many "gunsmiths" are really no such thing. where ever you go make sure they know double guns. - if none of the recommended gunsmiths are near you, call a few and ship it to one you are comfortable dealing with. the cost to ship it will be cheap insurance compared to having some hack get into it”

Charlie Diehl 03-30-2019 04:21 AM

Thanks for your help