Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pictures as promised (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31248)

Kerilynn Viccione 09-26-2020 11:58 AM

Pictures as promised

37 Attachment(s)
Hello All,
Some of you asked for pictures of my "collection" ( a very generous term I think :)). I quickly posted some the other night, but it was late and I'm pretty sure I mixed up some of them anyway (I think I listed my 16 ga as a 12 ga, etc). At any rate, I'm not sure if this is the place to post the pictures, so let me know if I should move this thread.

Also- please feel free to correct, add, discuss any info or pictures I post, because that is how I learn and I welcome all of it...

Now, on to the guns. As is often the case with my collection, it is ever evolving. Since last week I have sold one and was given another, so again, the pictures may not be completely aligned from the other night. There are four shown here. I will try to organize them so that the header picture tells the type of gun and the subsequent pictures go with it until the next picture with new gun labeled. There are no pictures of the newest one, but it's on the thread where I asked about the butt plate.

If there is a limit of pictures I can post, I'll just split up the thread. I also know you like to see certain parts of the gun so I tried my best. And if you're wondering which one I like best, I'll just say I like certain features of each one the best.:) Enjoy!
Kerilynn

brian burtner 09-26-2020 12:33 PM

See some pitting going on there.

Dean Romig 09-26-2020 01:12 PM

That's a good collection! I hope you shoot them often.

The pitting that Brian notes should really be addressed and repaired.

Harry Collins 09-26-2020 01:37 PM

Beautiful collection. Being picayune the floor plate screws on the 16 are in the wrong holes. Easily corrected with a proper fitting screwdriver. The 16's forend might be be saved with a good checkering. The 20's barrels should be rust blued. Doing so the barrels will be carded to remove the pitting and rust. A Silvers or Jostam recoil pad https://connecticutshotgun.co/search...ection=product would be more correct for the 12 gage than the black one it sports. All in all a very nice collection. Bravo!

Garry L Gordon 09-26-2020 09:28 PM

A very nice collection. Are you a hunter-collector? Clays shooter-collector? Both? Just curious how you might use your guns.

Harold Lee Pickens 09-26-2020 10:00 PM

Nice old VH 16 on the O frame, hunters love those because of the lighter weight. Yeah, it has a few warts, but things that can be corrected--or just keep as is and enjoy them.
The Grade 2 or GH 20 is also a nice find, those are also highly sought. Looks like it was kept in a damp place for it to rust like that. If I was going to do anything with the guns, I would have the GH 20 barrels reblued.
Three great guns, that I bet wont be your last.

Kerilynn Viccione 09-26-2020 10:09 PM

Thank you, Harold, I appreciate all of that and I hope to find many more treasures for sure...
-Kerilynn

Gary Carmichael Sr 09-27-2020 09:04 AM

Kerilynn, My first Parker was a P grade 12 ga, That was many moons ago, The Parker bug seems to have gotten to you, enjoy your collection and build on it! Gary

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 312791)
Beautiful collection. Being picayune the floor plate screws on the 16 are in the wrong holes. Easily corrected with a proper fitting screwdriver. The 16's forend might be be saved with a good checkering. The 20's barrels should be rust blued. Doing so the barrels will be carded to remove the pitting and rust. A Silvers or Jostam recoil pad https://connecticutshotgun.co/search...ection=product would be more correct for the 12 gage than the black one it sports. All in all a very nice collection. Bravo!

Thank you, Harry, this was a very helpful and informative reply. Lots of great info and even a link- can't ask for more than that. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Kerilynn

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 312835)
A very nice collection. Are you a hunter-collector? Clays shooter-collector? Both? Just curious how you might use your guns.

Hi Garry,

I really am not proficient at shooting any of the above. I know that these guns are meant to be used as intended, shall we say, but I keep them as pieces of history that for reasons unknown to me, I revere. I have had ,and come across, many historical guns, and none appeal to me the way Parkers do. Some of mine have been used continuously, some are "I found this in so-and-so's attic when he passed away" and haven't been used in decades.

I don't know why these particular guns have become such an obsession for me, but maybe someday I'll get the bug to shoot them, as well. I'm open to that :)

Dean Romig 09-27-2020 11:38 AM

It's because they have 'soul' or 'karma'. Each has its own and some are pretty similar in that regard. They seem to speak to us.

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 312884)
It's because they have 'soul' or 'karma'. Each has its own and some are pretty similar in that regard. They seem to speak to us.

Yes, Dean, that is exactly right. They have a soul. That's a perfect descriptor. I don't know if this will make sense or sound crazy, but I have been offered two Parkers in the past that gave me an "unsettled" feeling. I don't keep those. As a matter of fact, that is the one I got rid of last week. The other was several years ago. I can't explain it, but I don't question it. Not when the rest of them give me such joy.

Thanks for the reply-
Kerilynn

todd allen 09-27-2020 12:48 PM

Is it just me, or are Parker collectors becoming younger and better looking?

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 312893)
Is it just me, or are Parker collectors becoming younger and better looking?

Obviously they've always been highly intelligent with impeccable taste :)

todd allen 09-27-2020 02:48 PM

Yes, and some of us even have good looking birds dogs.

Mike Franzen 09-27-2020 03:33 PM

Kerilynn maybe you could join us Sanford, NC in April for the Southern Side by Side. It is the Mecca of the double gun universe. You can buy, sell, trade, shop, shoot etc. You will see more Parker’s in one place than you will anywhere else. BTW ... that’s a nice collection you have.

Chris Robenalt 09-27-2020 03:43 PM

Nice job Kerilynn! You've quite the collection and lots of variety. I'm all over the board when it comes to picking a favorite. My collection grew fast, as like you, each gun has unique features I like and admire. My collection is mainly vintage, or early American sxs. I try to hunt dove every weekend so I have a chance to shoot all mine. Parker is a favorite of mine also. I can't think of any one make being superior to the other. I, like you, enjoy each one for their rich historic value. I often tell my hunting buddies, " if you listen hard enough, every gun talks, and you can hear their stories from the past. Thanks for sharing your pics!
Chris, AZ

CraigThompson 09-27-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerilynn Viccione (Post 312895)
Obviously they've always been highly intelligent with impeccable taste :)

I was always of that opinion .

But I recently posted pictures of several Parker guns on a British forum and there were two SOB's on there that were neither polite or of good taste based on their comments .

I can understand a person that cares for something over another of a similar description . But I was always taught if you had nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut .

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Franzen (Post 312906)
Kerilynn maybe you could join us Sanford, NC in April for the Southern Side by Side. It is the Mecca of the double gun universe. You can buy, sell, trade, shop, shoot etc. You will see more Parker’s in one place than you will anywhere else. BTW ... that’s a nice collection you have.

That sounds fanatastic! I will look into that-
Kerilynn

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Robenalt (Post 312907)
Nice job Kerilynn! You've quite the collection and lots of variety. I'm all over the board when it comes to picking a favorite. My collection grew fast, as like you, each gun has unique features I like and admire. My collection is mainly vintage, or early American sxs. I try to hunt dove every weekend so I have a chance to shoot all mine. Parker is a favorite of mine also. I can't think of any one make being superior to the other. I, like you, enjoy each one for their rich historic value. I often tell my hunting buddies, " if you listen hard enough, every gun talks, and you can hear their stories from the past. Thanks for sharing your pics!
Chris, AZ

Thanks Chris! That sums up so much of how I feel about the guns. The aesthetics of the gun might not be the most desirable, but the backstory might be outstanding. Rich historical value is spot-on.
Kerilynn

Kerilynn Viccione 09-27-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 312917)
I was always of that opinion .

But I recently posted pictures of several Parker guns on a British forum and there were two SOB's on there that were neither polite or of good taste based on their comments .

I can understand a person that cares for something over another of a similar description . But I was always taught if you had nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut .

Hi Craig,
All we can do is share in good faith and lift others around us. It's disheartening when people feel the need to knock others down, but usually those are people who are very unhappy or aren't able to appreciate other people's good fortune. I guarantee the remarks they made to you do not end in the forum you visited, it's usually a universal way of life for them.

Just look at all the responses I've had from kind, helpful, enthusiastic Parker collectors on this site. No one knows me; I've essentially walked into a well-established boys' club and have been embraced with respect and dignity. It's sad that those other gentlemen you encountered will not get to experience the same. Their loss.

As an aside, having grown up with only brothers and being a mom of only sons, I tend to not realize there are certain "gender oriented" interactions until someone points it out (as is the case this week), which always surprises me that I didn't notice and makes me wonder if I'm intruding. I have never been made to feel like I'm intruding here, so... much gratitude for the level of acceptance and camaraderie you all show to everyone on this site.

-Kerilynn

CraigThompson 09-27-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerilynn Viccione (Post 312927)
Hi Craig,
All we can do is share in good faith and lift others around us. It's disheartening when people feel the need to knock others down, but usually those are people who are very unhappy or aren't able to appreciate other people's good fortune. I guarantee the remarks they made to you do not end in the forum you visited, it's usually a universal way of life for them.

Just look at all the responses I've had from kind, helpful, enthusiastic Parker collectors on this site. No one knows me; I've essentially walked into a well-established boys' club and have been embraced with respect and dignity. It's sad that those other gentlemen you encountered will not get to experience the same. Their loss.

As an aside, having grown up with only brothers and being a mom of only sons, I tend to not realize there are certain "gender oriented" interactions until someone points it out (as is the case this week), which always surprises me that I didn't notice and makes me wonder if I'm intruding. I have never been made to feel like I'm intruding here, so... much gratitude for the level of acceptance and camaraderie you all show to everyone on this site.

-Kerilynn

Hmmmm you need to have a conversation with my wife ! She’s Filipina and many times has asked me why Americans need so many guns for the same thing LOL’s ! The concept of collecting/accumulating is lost on her . But those folks don’t look at things the way an American would and for obvious reasons General life is a good bit tougher for them than it is for us .

David Verhine 09-27-2020 11:22 PM

I absolutely love the figure on the butt stock of the 1915 VH 12. Thanks for sharing!

Mike Franzen 09-28-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerilynn Viccione (Post 312927)
I have never been made to feel like I'm intruding here, so... much gratitude for the level of acceptance and camaraderie you all show to everyone on this site.

-Kerilynn

This gang welcomes anyone who has a love for the guns and can conduct themselves in a civilized manner. It would be great for our organization if more women participated. Thank you for posting. I hope you will continue to add to the discussions.

Brett Hoop 09-28-2020 08:58 AM

Kerilynn

I haven't seen it mentioned, but do you have the two volume set of The Parker Story? From what you have written it sounds to me like you would enjoy reading the history of production with some insight into the men and women who made them. A search here will provide information. If you can't get to the Southern, the vintage shoot at Hausmann's Hidden Hollow which typically happens the first weekend in June, is another gathering of Parker people. Located in northeast Pennsylvania it draws many members from New England.

Dean Romig 09-28-2020 09:21 AM

Right Brett, and on October 17 there is a group of PGCA members meeting at Addieville in RI for a shoot.

Harry Collins 09-28-2020 09:59 AM

Kerilynn,

Six of my Parkers are family guns. And when I shoot them I feel the hands of my father, Uncle Bill, or Uncle Taylor upon the barrels guiding the shot. Most of the time I hit the target and I attribute it to them. The guns do have soul and a spirit.

Now I beg my New England friends to take Kerilynn and her sons to a clays course with some lite RST loads. Mentor them into the shooting world. Some easy incoming targets easy to break. We need to get this family addicted.

Harry

Dean Romig 09-28-2020 10:38 AM

I wholeheartedly agree Harry!

Kerilynn Viccione 09-28-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Collins (Post 312951)
Kerilynn,

Six of my Parkers are family guns. And when I shoot them I feel the hands of my father, Uncle Bill, or Uncle Taylor upon the barrels guiding the shot. Most of the time I hit the target and I attribute it to them. The guns do have soul and a spirit.

Now I beg my New England friends to take Kerilynn and her sons to a clays course with some lite RST loads. Mentor them into the shooting world. Some easy incoming targets easy to break. We need to get this family addicted.

Harry

Hi Harry- I love that connection you have to your guns. As for the second part, why do I feel as though I am about to embark on an adventure of no return :D

Kerilynn Viccione 09-28-2020 11:40 AM

Brett and Dean, both sound great. I am in Rhode Island, and I know of the Burrilville event- I'm looking into it :) That is my son's 21 birthday, maybe we will all go.

As for Harry's "call to action"LOL, we belong to the the Ashaway sportsman club, I've just never gone for shooting. Which might sound strange, but we own an indoor range and I tend to shoot handguns. But I now see that I'm going to have to push out of my comfort zone and try the clays. Just know that you will all be subjected to hearing all about it, ad nauseam. :rotf:

Kerilynn

Kerilynn Viccione 09-28-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Verhine (Post 312938)
I absolutely love the figure on the butt stock of the 1915 VH 12. Thanks for sharing!

Anytime :) thank you for the reply and thank you for your service.
Kerilynn

Dean Romig 09-28-2020 03:34 PM

You will be hooked and like you suspected, there is no return... it’s that much fun! And nobody expects a beginner to break even half the clays they shoot at. Heck, I’ve been shooting clays for the last few decades and I’m still only a 60% shooter.

Jay Oliver 09-28-2020 03:46 PM

Kerilynn,

It was great to see pictures of your collection and as you already found out Parkers are addictive. I am in RI as well and going to the Addieville Parker event on 10/17. Peace Dale Shooting Preserve in South Kingstown is another great sporting clay venue.

Thanks again for sharing pictures of your collection.

Jay

Daniel Carter 09-28-2020 04:11 PM

Kerilyn, clays are like potato chips, if you find you like them one is not enough. From breaking 10 % to finally getting to 90% is a great journey.
I advise you to not go to the club and listen to " those guys who know it all"but get a qualified instructor, preferably a woman, it will be money well spent and save you a lot in the long run.
The job of coach is not easy and very few can adapt to the needs of the student.
Wish you the best in your endeavor, without using the Parker gun for what was intended for you are missing a lot of it's charm.

Dean Romig 09-28-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 312982)
I advise you to not go to the club and listen to " those guys who know it all"but get a qualified instructor, preferably a woman, it will be money well spent and save you a lot in the long run.

The offer to join the group at Addieville East Farm was made in earnest simply inviting Kerilynn to join in the fun enjoyed by a very informal group of Parker amateur shooters as a simple introduction to the fun of clays shooting. There's plenty of time to hire a coach if she finds it's something she wants to pursue.

:cheers:

Daniel Carter 09-28-2020 06:32 PM

Dean in no way was i referring to Addieville but the club she said that she belongs to may have the people i am talking about. Out of the 2 i belong to 1 has a surplus of them the other none.
The wrong habits that come from doing it on your own or with poor instruction lead to leaving it or a lifetime of correcting it.

Kerilynn Viccione 09-28-2020 07:26 PM

Hey Dean and Daniel,

No worries, I interpreted what Daniel meant as the club we belong to. I am aware of the dynamics at many clubs- which is why I don't go much, but my husband can easily find a coach for me through the gun store. From what I have heard of Addieville it did not cross my mind that anyone was referring to it when mentioning the instruction, it is highly regarded. I actually have been to South county before, which is where my son did skeet shooting. That was a fun day, too.

I appreciate the suggestions and I am excited to have a new adventure.

Thanks all!
Kerilynn

Matt Buckley 09-28-2020 09:38 PM

I loved seeing your collection of Parkers Kerilynn. The shooting sports are becoming more and more popular for woman and it is great to have you among our ranks. I have two daughters, 9 and 7, who I have target shooting with a .22 and love to spend time reloading shot gun shells with me and have shown interest in my shooting and hunting hobbies. If you spend enough time on this forum you will learn a lot of things about Parkers and other makes of guns as well.

Mike Franzen 09-28-2020 10:12 PM

I think Kerilynn can take care of herself.

todd allen 09-29-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Franzen (Post 313013)
I think Kerilynn can take care of herself.

Yes. And I wouldn't assume she doesn't know how to shoot a shotgun.