Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   View From My Son's Office (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20689)

edgarspencer 01-27-2017 04:46 PM

View From My Son's Office

1 Attachment(s)
Beats the Corner office on Wall St. Coming out of Kodiak Yesterday. Taken from another C130.

I wish someone would explain to me why photos in my file appear normal but post yeeyaw.
Thanks Brian, It worked. Apologies to Rick, as it now makes your post sound odd, but we know whatcha meant.

Rick Losey 01-27-2017 05:40 PM

i was going to that is one heck of a banked turn

Brian Hornacek 01-27-2017 05:42 PM

Fantastic picture Edgar.

On the picture trouble I had the same problem, I would open it on my PC and everything looked great and I would upload and it would be turned. I fixed this by opening the picture on my PC and doing an edit in the way of cropping the photo and saving it. A rotation and save will not do and seems to not fix the problem as I remember. Every picture I upload I crop even if just a subtle change.

Gary Laudermilch 01-27-2017 06:59 PM

I "think" your photo problem might be with the resolution and resulting file size. The width of the photo exceeds the number of pixels allowed and so it gets turned so that the widest dimension is along the longest dimension allowed. Try resizing your photo in something like Paint or other image handling software and see if that solves your problem. It did for me.

edgarspencer 01-27-2017 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to try this Once, and if it doesn't work, well, I don't actually think I'll loose any sleep

Holy crap. Thanks guys. Out of curiosity, how do you know this stuff? NM, I don't wanna know.

edgarspencer 01-27-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 210484)
i was going to that is one heck of a banked turn

Rick, If you want to see what the ancient 130 can do, google some videos of the AC-130 (For guys in my age bracket, you'll know her as "Puff The Magic Dragon")

Brian Hornacek 01-27-2017 07:31 PM

Super secret top secret. You can always go into edit on your original post lower right icon, then go to advanced lower right, scroll down, open up downloads and remove the original picture and then reload.

The truth is one snowy night on the couch with my good friend Glenlivet and I figured it out!

edgarspencer 01-27-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Hornacek (Post 210495)
The truth is one snowy night on the couch with my good friend Glenlivet and I figured it out!

If only I could remember half the solutions to the worlds problems that Dalwhinnie and I have come up with.

Dean Romig 01-27-2017 09:59 PM

A very cool picture - it even captured the vortexes coming off the tips of each prop blade!

You have very good reasons to be proud of both your 'kids.'

Richard Flanders 01-27-2017 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love C-130's. They're especially fun to watch operating on skis. The videos of the AC-130's are indeed impressive. I got the controls handed to me in the right seat of this one for 30minutes on the way to South Pole Station in 1985. I almost broke my face grinning on that flite. The Navy PIC was an instructor so I had him put an entry in my log book. It flew just like a Beaver, believe it or not.

edgarspencer 01-28-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 210510)
A very cool picture - it even captured the vortexes coming off the tips of each prop blade!

You have very good reasons to be proud of both your 'kids.

I'm pretty proud of all three. I'm trying to talk my baby to come with me to Addieville. Actually she wants to come but works almost every Saturday.

Brian Hornacek 01-28-2017 09:14 AM

Great parenting and great kids Edgar.

On another note Cindy was disappointed you were not in Vegas. Larry F, Dave S and you made up her inner circle of Parker friends from the vintagers a few years back and she was hoping to see all of you again..................another time and place.

Dean Romig 01-28-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 210529)
I'm trying to talk my baby to come with me to Addieville. Actually she wants to come but works almost every Saturday.

Well, let's hope it rains on Saturday so she will come with you on Sunday, the rain date.

Bruce Day 01-28-2017 03:37 PM

Edgar, I have about 5000 hours in the C-130 from A to H models. A great aircraft with no end in sight to its usefulness for varied missions. Your son is in a safe aircraft and one that can lead to many flying opportunities after eventual retirement from the Coast Guard. Thanks for raising a son of significance.

Kevin McCormack 01-28-2017 07:58 PM

I have zero hours in any passenger, transport, or pseudo/combat aircraft, but I recently learned how to resize and successfully post e-mail and BBS-type digital photos, both off my iPhone and digital hand-held, and I really must say I have never looked so good!

edgarspencer 01-28-2017 08:19 PM

Kevin, isn't technology wonderful? I find it remarkable that it can make the homiliest look good.

Chuck Bishop 01-28-2017 09:09 PM

Kevin, now teach Murphy:rotf:

Steve Cambria 01-29-2017 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop (Post 210587)
Kevin, now teach Murphy:rotf:

Not to worry "Your eminence!!" The innovation hub at N. 18th and Windram is tackling that conundrum head-on!!! :corn::crying::corn:

Attachment 52463

Richard Flanders 01-29-2017 09:37 AM

A little tidbit on the skis used on the C-130. They are classified as a "strategic weapon" so Lockheed is not allowed to sell a ski-equipped Herc to anyone outside of the United States, and maybe/likely not to anyone but the US military.
Interesting factoid #2: The early C-130's had a problem with the nosewheel hydraulic strut failing for some reason, corrosion or wear, something. An old time mechanic here in Fairbanks, Hutch Hutchinson", a local legend in Alaska, had an idea and procured a worn out strut cylinder from the boys at Ladd Field and used his ancient belt-driven lathe to turn a liner, stainless steel maybe, for the strut then gave it back to them to try. It worked so well that Lockheed to this day makes them that way and the issue went away. That lathe ended up in the garage of Hutch's son in law, a well-known WWII cold weather test pilot here in town(Randy Acord), which is where I saw and played with it a bit. I think it is now in the shop of our local railroad club and is still being used to restore RR equipment.

Rick Riddell 05-26-2017 08:55 PM

Wow brings back memories, my father was stationed in Kodiak, we use to hitch a ride to Anchorage on them to go school shopping!

charlie cleveland 05-29-2017 12:20 PM

great pictures...this is a old plane that never will die....charlie