Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ruined my elk season (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25630)

Dennis E. Jones 11-05-2018 11:33 AM

Ruined my elk season

1 Attachment(s)
Saturday our muzzle loader elk season opened. Ten minutes before legal shooting time we had elk walking by the jeep at 50 yards. It took a while to catch up to them but, I started this two year old cows freezer training at 0831 hours. A 380 grain soft cast conical ahead of 100 grains of Goex FFg from my Remington 700, 50 caliber was a complete pass through the neck at 75 yards. She was down so fast I didn't see her fall through the smoke. Then the work began. Oh how I love elk hunting but now I have to wait another year to do it again.

todd allen 11-05-2018 11:39 AM

I pray for a quick, humane kill, then I thank God for the bounty.
You did a good job.

Rich Anderson 11-07-2018 12:15 PM

Nothing wrong with being done . You can enjoy Elk steak sooner:):) Congrats.

Dean Romig 11-07-2018 12:40 PM

...and get back to bird hunting sooner too.

Brett Souder 11-07-2018 04:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Saw this display at our hotel in Souix Fall South Dakota last week. What were they thinking?
-Brett

Dean Romig 11-07-2018 06:49 PM

I like to see successful hunters but that visage does us hunters no good.

I wonder how the meat’s going to taste...

todd allen 11-07-2018 11:09 PM

The optics of the above are not good. When we come off the camp, all of the game meat is boned out, and in ice chests.
Hunting should not be presented like a Tarantino film, with carcasses draped all over off road equipment.
Gentlemen and women care about outward appearances, and are sensitive to the way we appear to non-hunters, and others who happen to be on the road, restaurant, or gas station we share.
Besides all that, properly cared for meat tastes better.

Phillip Carr 11-07-2018 11:59 PM

Absolutely Shameful.

John Dallas 11-08-2018 01:14 PM

We spend a bunch of time talking against this sort of activity in our Hunter Ed classes

Russell E. Cleary 11-08-2018 09:50 PM

European hunting traditions may be more rarified than American, but they are our antecedents. Here are some “Do’s” and “Don’ts”, excerpted from the German Gun Collector’s Association, worth considering:

The DO’s

• Do make sure that the animal is cleaned of any blood or dirt etc. so that the picture presents the animal in a proper manner.
• Do pose the animal in a respectful manner with its forend toward the camera.

The Don’ts/ Do Not /Never

• Do NOT place your firearm across the antlers or horns of your game.
• Do NOT place your firearm across the animal in a disrespectful way.
• Do NOT sit on or lean against the animal
• Do NOT perform “High Fives” with your guide or friend(s) in the photo.

If there is more than one person in the picture, everyone should show respect for the game taken

• Do NOT prop open the mouth of the animal.
• Never display the firearm in the photo as if you are pointing it at the quarry.
• Never send photos of the quarry hung from a tree or game pole.
• Never have the quarry draped across a vehicle’s hood/bonnet or hanging off the back of a truck.