Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hull Cut Off jig (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17058)

William Davis 08-17-2015 01:47 PM

Hull Cut Off jig

Tried them all none suited me, then used the sliding table on my table saw. Liked it but wanted something dedicated to hulls and not tie up my sliding table. Came up with this rig

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps01x1pmjj.jpg

It's half of a sliding table. Indexes underneath in the saws miter gauge slot. 4 holes, two will do 10 & 12 other two 20 & 16. You could run one (or two) gauges or perhaps get more than 4 holes. Top is spring loaded back off on the wing nuts it lifts off the shells. In practice get it set all you have do do is take a half turn off the rear wing nut !!! when the blade stops turning!!! and slide out the trimmed hull. I was indexing from the front of the hull with a stop using my regular full sliding table, but got inconsistent lengths off the hull mouth. Rear just use a pencil line scribed to set length.

Fast and precise, smooth cuts.

William

David Hendrey 08-20-2015 11:55 AM

Great idea!!! What hulls work the best for re-crimping and do they need to be skived also?

Todd

William Davis 08-21-2015 05:30 AM

They need to be skived, not much burr but enough it would hamper wad seating.

New 3 1/2 10 G down to 2 7/8 crimp fine. Getting ready to run another 100 Federal 10s. I would assume any gauge new un crimped hull would do as well.

Most cutting has been the entire fold off fired 2 7/8 inch 12 16 & 20 to make short hulls for roll crimping, I don't known well a fired 2 7/8 would do cut back to 2 1/2 then fold crimped. Cut would fall mid way old crimp. Would it crimp again possibly, indexed on the hulls rim length would be right.

William

Carvel Whaley 08-21-2015 06:00 AM

Trimming 10 ga hulls

William, I trim mine with a pice of dowel with a #11 exacto blade driven in at the right length, one turn and it trims perfectly with a nice clean cut. Crimps fine with no skiving. I have tried Remington, Federal and Chedite hulls and all seem about the same. You need to make one for each brand of hull since the base wads may not be the same.
Carvel

edgarspencer 08-21-2015 08:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I made a simple jig with a lever that has a razor blade clamped to it. A dowel, turned to 12ga on one end, and 16 on the other (the only two gauges I trim to load 2 1/2") is adjusted so cut the correct length, as the shell bottoms out on the end of the dowel. I trim leftover 2 3/4" RST hulls and new paper hulls. Each hull requires about 5 seconds to trim to length. Cut is as clean as the uncut hulls from BPI.
With the leftover little rings you can make nice mobiles to stare at during dinner.

Dean Romig 08-21-2015 08:44 AM

:biglaugh:

You make me laugh Edgar.
That's a great little setup for trimming hulls!

That coffee grinder up above the cabinets... Is it a Parker? If so, what model is it?

edgarspencer 08-21-2015 10:01 AM

I have to edit my pictures more carefully. I forgot how you scrutinize them.

No, That grinder is an Enterprise. My Parker is too heavy to put up there.

At the risk of being flogged, I think Parker stole their design from Enterprise, and not, as some think, the other way 'round.

Dean Romig 08-21-2015 10:12 AM

Consider yourself handily flogged :nono:

Paul Harm 08-24-2015 02:52 PM

As I have been accused of - you have toooo much time on your hands.

Stephen Hastie 09-23-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carvel Whaley (Post 175343)
William, I trim mine with a pice of dowel with a #11 exacto blade driven in at the right length, one turn and it trims perfectly with a nice clean cut. Crimps fine with no skiving. I have tried Remington, Federal and Chedite hulls and all seem about the same. You need to make one for each brand of hull since the base wads may not be the same.
Carvel

I have the same but with a round head wood screw in the end so can adjusted for any hull.