Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   ACL (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24213)

Gary Carmichael Sr 05-10-2018 10:52 AM

ACL

Well we are a week into the recovery period, from her surgery she is doing very well starting to put some weight on the leg when taken out for business, Lots of meds to keep her calmed down. hard to do with a four year old Lab, Took her out on leash and a turkey hen was in the front yard, course she went beserk! I was able to keep her under control thankfully So now she has plates in both legs, wonder how this will affect her in later years and in the cold? Gary

Eric Eis 05-10-2018 11:50 AM

Hopefully it won't affect her as she get's older. Trying to keep a four year old Lab "calm" now that's funny....Good luck Gary, I am sure she will mend soon.

Daryl Corona 05-10-2018 02:08 PM

That sounds like she's doing fine Gary. The most important thing to keep in mind as she grows older and the best thing you can do for her joint and overall health as she ages is to keep her weight down. I'm sure you know that. Make sure she gets plenty of omega3's. I give mine a can of sardines in oil once a week. Good luck and give her a scratch behind the ear for me.
Daryl

John Taddeo 05-10-2018 06:58 PM

The plates don't affect my Shorthair at all Gary.. It's actually pretty easy to forget they even had the surgery.. I wish her a quick recovery and would bet you never see a difference..

Russell E. Cleary 05-15-2018 11:23 AM

Kathy G’s Lab./Shepherd mix had the operation on one hind leg two years ago and is doing well. Her vet specified for TEDDY Glucosamine (500)-Chondroitin (400). He started with 2 capsules in the a.m. and 1 capsule in the p.m. for 4 to 6 weeks, then 1 or 2 a day for maintenance.

TEDDY is in his eight year but thinks he’s still a teenager. So, keeping him from flat-out sprinting (doctor’s orders) requires constant vigilance (by people). He’s just happy, and abjures all vigilance.

Dean Romig 05-15-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 243910)

TEDDY is in his eight year but thinks he’s still a teenager. So, keeping him from flat-out sprinting (doctor’s orders) requires constant vigilance (by people). He’s just happy, and abjures all vigilance.

And Teddy is one happy dog and is truly a member of the 'family'!

Gary Carmichael Sr 06-11-2018 09:53 AM

Went back for 6 week checkup all is mending well, she is cleared for 5 minute walks three times a day adding 2-3 minutes each week till the July 7th check still on leash, I swear I believe the animals know she cannot run and they are everywhere seems to be tempting her almost pulled me over when she saw the raccoon last evening, sure am glad I got insurance on her when she was a pup, the procedure and follow up about 5 grand for each leg, Gary

Gary Carmichael Sr 07-15-2018 12:09 PM

Just took Jolie back for 12 week checkup she is as good as new back to whatever she is up to, a long 12 weeks Gary

Dave Tatman 07-15-2018 05:39 PM

That is great news, Gary. Congrats to you for nursing her through that very long 12 weeks! (Imagine how long it must have seemed to her, with all that wildlife tempting her!)

I pray for many more fun years together for you and Jolie!

I just put my new 12 week old setter pup, Beau, on a wild bird wing off a fly rod today. Great points from the very beginning. Very encouraging.

Dave

Eric Eis 07-16-2018 07:43 AM

That's great news Gary ! It must have been a long 12 weeks for both of you...........