Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Of puppies and wool shirts (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41462)

Keith Doty 03-16-2024 11:35 AM

Of puppies and wool shirts

As my wife and I have worked our way thru the pain of loosing a faithful four footed friend and the joys of a new Lab puppy there have been casualties. A fine pair of Kangaroo western boots one but the one closest to my heart a Pendelton wool shirt my mother gave me for Christmas many, many years ago. "Skipper" got it cornered early one morning and it is now short sleeved (at the armpit) on one side with no buttons anywhere. In searching for a replacement I discoved Pendelton isn't the same, have gone to mystery source imports, lots of bad reviews. In searching I found Johnson Woolen Mills In Johnson, Vermont. They appear to be the real deal, a small American firm of many years still making good quality "Made in the USA" garments. I just ordered a new shirt and am waiting with high hopes!

Garry L Gordon 03-16-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Doty (Post 407497)
As my wife and I have worked our way thru the pain of loosing a faithful four footed friend and the joys of a new Lab puppy there have been casualties. A fine pair of Kangaroo western boots one but the one closest to my heart a Pendelton wool shirt my mother gave me for Christmas many, many years ago. "Skipper" got it cornered early one morning and it is now short sleeved (at the armpit) on one side with no buttons anywhere. In searching for a replacement I discoved Pendelton isn't the same, have gone to mystery source imports, lots of bad reviews. In searching I found Johnson Woolen Mills In Johnson, Vermont. They appear to be the real deal, a small American firm of many years still making good quality "Made in the USA" garments. I just ordered a new shirt and am waiting with high hopes!

Keith, you might check Bemidji Woolen Mill. We always stop at their outlet in Bemidji when we’re grouse hunting. They make some things there.

When you find a shirt you like, buy two or three. There’s always a pup in the future 😉

Keith Doty 03-16-2024 12:00 PM

I ordered one from Johnson. When it arrives I'll smoke it over. If I like what I get I'll definitely order a couple more as I have a couple other heavy wool shirts showing their age. I have worn'em hard for years but nothing lasts forever. If disappointed I'll return and certainly give your suggestion a shot, thanks.
Lab Pups.....oh yea, there will be others. Currently have a 10 year old male and Skipper's kennel mate is 9. Both currently in good health but getting on in years.

Mike Koneski 03-16-2024 12:43 PM

I have a friend that says "If you find something you like you better buy two of them. They always stop making stuff you like."

Keith Doty 03-16-2024 01:02 PM

Guaranteed, if I like it it will soon be discontinued to make way for "New and Improved" which it very rarely is. The Kangaroo hide boots this pup gnawed the right toe off were the lightest, most comfortable pair of dress boots I have ever owned, had'em for years. Obviously no longer available! Spent hours looking, no cigar.

Garry L Gordon 03-16-2024 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 407501)
I have a friend that says "If you find something you like you better buy two of them. They always stop making stuff you like."

This is the “Gene Hill Rule.” I’ve been following it for years.

Keith Doty 03-17-2024 12:20 PM

New shirt arrived, a hearty stamp of approval here. Appears well made, stitching straight and tight, seams all double stitched, nice clothing. Classic 85% wool, 15% nylon for wear and shape retention. For anybody in need I'd say check them out. They also have an extensive line of blankets, camp blankets, and throws.

edgarspencer 03-17-2024 01:05 PM

My Dad bought me a new Pendleton whenever he couldn't think of something else, Mostly, at Christmas. He wore them all the time, but never seemed to wear them out. As I outgrew mine, I grew into his and it makes me feel good to wear his old shirts. I wear a different one each day, and don't repeat for at least 2 weeks. I believe I have about 2 dozen. My wife occasionally finds one at a thrift shop. There are many, usually dry cleaned and wrapped, on ebay.
My all time favorite is the Lindsey tartan, even though I have one Brown, and two Douglas, both of which are family names.

Mike Koneski 03-17-2024 01:21 PM

If Johnson's flannel lined wool button-down shirt came in a Hawaiian print......:bowdown:

Keith Doty 03-17-2024 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 407547)
If Johnson's flannel lined wool button-down shirt came in a Hawaiian print......:bowdown:

Mike, I looked. Not yet. I think you ought to contact them and point out the sales potential. Now.....the process may drive the loom folks completely mad!:)