Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   6 FRAME HAMMERLESS (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20249)

MARK KIRCHER 11-30-2016 09:09 AM

6 FRAME HAMMERLESS

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to hunt the 1909 6 Frame hammerless 32 “ PH for the first time yesterday. Some may have read my mention of this gun on an earlier post

THE BEAST has arrived and she is ready for the marsh - I had it double checked by Craig Larter - she's is a 32" hammerless 10 bore on a "sturdy" #6 frame. Minimum wall thickness -.130 and a healthy .270 and chambers edge. The gun has been used but not abused. Mallard's beware!!

The gun was shipped to Seattle Hardware for a man named S.A. Labarre of Olympia – It was hunted hard with the checkering on the for-end warn near smooth. Brian Dudley cleaned up the gun and re-checkered it for me being careful to leave most of the scars and blemishes from years past at my request. A fine job and the gun is as stunning as it is imposing! - Thank you Brian!
I imagine Mr. Labarre as a “mountain of a man” to order such a gun. His specific orders were for 4’s at 50 yards and 2’s at 60 yards full and full – he paid $10 extra for the chokes – a considerable amount to add to a $65 gun.

I hunted with #2 RST 1 ¼ oz loads yesterday and reached out further than I normally would. 4 drake Mallards fell hard at 30+ yards (My last of the 4 at 40+ just before we picked up our decoys)
I hunt 20 gauge early and 16 gauge mid-season jumping to a big bore (12 or 10) late when the redlegs come down so I am used to changing guns throughout the season. This gun however, was a dramatic jump in weight and dimensions (13Lbs with 8Lb 1 oz 32” barrels) and I was aprehensive at first light. But it swung as smooth as any gun I have ever shouldered and every bird I fired at fell. In short, I am hooked!

The Beast will be going back tomorrow and until the season ends 5 days from now. Perhaps if things work out I will get a chance to hunt with Craig and His 6 fame hammer gun (even bigger :eek:). More pictures are sure to follow if that works out!!!

Mills Morrison 11-30-2016 10:03 AM

Awesome!

Rick Losey 11-30-2016 10:10 AM

Great hunt Mark

just take your boat instead of Craig's if you have both of those guns in there :cheers:

Bill Murphy 11-30-2016 10:13 AM

What a great gun to hunt with.

charlie cleveland 11-30-2016 12:34 PM

i really like the stories on these big cannons...hope you get some long shots at 60 yards... hope these 2 big 10 gas get together to hunt and yes take 2 boats as it was suggested...charlie

Destry L. Hoffard 11-30-2016 01:30 PM

Excellent

Destry L. Hoffard 11-30-2016 01:32 PM

That's the first time I've read of Parker charging extra money for choking a gun. That's really interesting, I'd say there's some story there likely to remain unknown sadly.

Destry

Craig Larter 12-04-2016 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark and I got out the last day of our duck season with our 6 frame tens. Unfortunately it turned out to be a blue bird day and no waterfowl were on the move. I did make a nice shot on a drake mallard with the D grade hammer gun all 15 pounds with 36 inch barrels.

Rick Losey 12-04-2016 07:18 PM

glad to hear you two at least got a try at it

time to start dreaming of the next fall

Dean Romig 12-04-2016 10:43 PM

One-handed??? Ya sure Craig.... who's holding it by the barrels off the the picture?:rotf: