Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Looking into a Parker for friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41051)

Steven Untiet 01-25-2024 09:25 PM

Looking into a Parker for friend

9 Attachment(s)
Hello, Trying to find out what I can about this old shotgun. From what I can tell it was made in 1875,grade5 with a frame size 4. 10 gauge. Is getting a factory letter worth it? Any idea of what it's worth?
Thanks

Steven Untiet 01-25-2024 09:37 PM

Sorry forgot to add, it is missing a firing pin and has an incorrect hammer screw.

Dean Romig 01-25-2024 11:29 PM

We’d love to see the engraved scene on the bottom of the frame. Looks like a large cat or canine attacking a deer??? We haven’t seen such engraving on a Parker until this, that I know if.
Parker No. 4560 is shown in the Grade column as a D which, as nearly as I can determine, indicates Damascus barrels and not necessarily a Grade 3 (D). The bolster sculpting is that of a Grade 3 gun but in that period grades had yet to be assigned, let alone a standardization of checkering, engraving, bolster and frame sculpting.
The subject gun actually lacks any group of grade-specific features but the lock plates have four pins behind the hammers which is specific to grade 3 and higher Parkers, however, the level of engraving of the lock plates is more often associated with later hammer guns of at least grade 4 and higher. The stock lacks the drop points common to grade 3 and higher.
It’s an enigma for sure and as the OP has stated, it could be the equivalent to the later Grade 5… or maybe a Grade 4. A research letter may show a grade but more likely will list only its dollar value.

Nice Parker by the way and certainly a good candidate for a quality and true-to-originality freshening.

Arthur Shaffer 01-25-2024 11:53 PM

That appears overall to be a nice high grade Parker. It is a higher grade with some unique touches. According to the lookup, there are factory records for the gun. I would think it would be a very good idea to get a letter. It may not tell you much or it may reveal a lot. I often get letters just on guns I am considering for purchase.

Steven Untiet 01-26-2024 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the bottom of receiver.
I am going to order a letter but if you guys could help with a couple question on the form for me that would be great:
Grip Type: Capped Pistol Grip Straight Round Ball
Forend Type: Splinter Beavertail
Not sure which box to check for those and the butt plate is recoil pad correct?
Thanks

Dean Romig 01-26-2024 12:07 PM

It is a straight grip.
Splinter forend.
Aftermarker (non-Parker Bros.) hard rubber or gutta percha buttplate.

Thanks for the better picture - So it's a hound attacking a buck.... very interesting.

Now, what's that scene on the trigger guard?

CraigThompson 01-26-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 404072)
Thanks for the better picture - So it's a hound attacking a buck.... very interesting.

Now I'm finding it rather intresting :whistle:

Steven Untiet 01-26-2024 12:37 PM

I’ll see if I can get a better pic of the trigger guard.

Dean Romig 01-26-2024 06:14 PM

Judging by the style and execution of the engraving and the year of manufacture as well as the higher grade, or dollar quality, of the gun I would say the engraving was done by Jacob Glahn who engraved most Parkers up to serial number 7,000.

Angel Cruz 01-26-2024 07:28 PM

What a beauty!!