Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   General: Engraving (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=872)

Dean Brevit 11-20-2009 10:54 AM

General: Engraving

Hello all,
Within the grades a scene/theme looks to be the norm, how many variations of the same theme were used.

Regards,
Dean (the other Dean)

Dean Romig 11-20-2009 11:18 AM

Dean, there are several factors which may affect a variation of a particular grade's "theme". Some of the factors are; an individual engraver's personal artistic style, a buyer may have requested 'extra engraving', but there may be other factors. It has been my experience that an engraver's personal artistic style is the one factor which stands out more than others. The DHE 28 ga. that you showed us pictures of has the engraving style most often attributed to Anschutz where his birds and dogs showed very little shading or contour (if any at all) of musculature or feather pattern or flow of fur and hair.

Dean Brevit 11-20-2009 11:36 AM

Thanks Dean, I have looked at many (more so in the past weeks) guns apart from small hand work details the themes are very much the same, so the answer is based on how many engravers were working, each having his own spin on a theme.

Thanks,
Dean

Dean Brevit 11-20-2009 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If Anschutz is the syle on the one you noted, do you now who's work this is.
Thank,
DB

Dean Romig 11-20-2009 12:24 PM

In my opinion that is an example of Anschutz' engraving.

Further - on engraving 'interpretation' - the game scenes were generally engraved by the "chief engraver" (the engraver in charge of the engraving department) while the less artistically demanding engraving, that of simple line and scroll, was done by apprentices and 'journeymen'. The theme of an engraving motif for the individual grades was predetermined by Parker Bros. and the superintendant of the gun works and variation from the motif was not allowed except by special order of the customer and on the higher grades (probably above grade 5) was often left up to the chief engraver. Floor plate engraving varied quite a lot on grade 4 (more rarely on grade 3) and up and this was probably at the chief engraver's discretion.

Russ Jackson 11-20-2009 07:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dean And Dean ; This is the gun I took down to the Vintagers and all of the Professional eyes there agreed ,this is a Runge engraved gun.A different style and also a Remington era gun .

Dean Romig 11-20-2009 07:09 PM

That's right Russ, and I was one of them. Fabulous CHE :envy:

Did I mention I want that gun?

Russ Jackson 11-20-2009 07:15 PM

Thanks Dean; I appreciated all of the extra info. I received from the members and also Jim Thinney, I figured if I posted a few pics. and some of the others did ,it would be a great way to compare the different gravers works ,I think it is a very interesting facet of Parker collecting ! Ps. Yes you did !!

Dave Suponski 11-20-2009 07:22 PM

Russ,Ya gotta stop showing that gun. You're killin me..:nono: Dean,already has a C Grade it should really come back home to CT..:rolleyes:

Dean Romig 11-20-2009 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=Russ Jackson;7624]I think it is a very interesting facet of Parker collecting !QUOTE]

Being perfectly honest, I find the engraving to be the most interesting facet (for this collector) of Parker Gun research and collecting. I've always been interested in art in just about any medium and Parker engraving certainly has my full attention.