Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Top Lever to the Left (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9591)

Ed Blake 02-12-2013 08:33 AM

Top Lever to the Left

This never used to bother me if the action was tight. My 32" GH's lever is to the left. To correct this should a weld be placed on the rear lug notch and filed to fit. There is no replaceable wedge.

Bill Murphy 02-12-2013 09:20 AM

The fit on those early notches is so good that any attempt to refit would not be the same perfect contact. I prefer to leave as is if the gun is tight. A tight gun with the lever to the left is the sign of a gun that has never been messed with, in my opinion.

Ed Blake 02-12-2013 09:39 AM

That's good advice. I will replace the top lever spring to get the "mushy" feel out of the lever. I don't like mushy, except with my peas.

Brian Dudley 02-12-2013 10:47 AM

Usually it does not take much wear to the left before the locking bolt face hits the lug. This is when the action becomes loose because the angle bite is no longer fully engaged.

John Campbell 02-12-2013 01:26 PM

If the gun's tight, shoot it until it isn't. Then worry about the top lever position.

Best, Kensal

Brian Dudley 02-12-2013 06:04 PM

The only real concern with Parkers and a lever to the left but still tight is that the dish in the top will not line line up with the frame. This is an aesthetic matter of course.

Daryl Corona 02-12-2013 08:42 PM

Ed;
Just keep the lug lubed with a good grease to slow the wear. Or you could send it to me and I will evaluate it for the next few years and then give you my diagnosis on what you should do.:)

Ed Blake 02-15-2013 09:20 AM

Daryl you are a real pal.

Mark Landskov 02-15-2013 12:18 PM

I have had the pleasure of disassembling three Parker top lever guns and made the following observation.....based on the shape of the top lever and its orifice in the receiver, the top lever (on my guns, anyway) could not swing to the left past center. It is physically impossible. After years of snapping the action shut, I could see where metal on the receiver and lever could be peened enough to allow the lever to go past center. The levers on my three guns are firmly centered, but the other components of the locking mechanism are worn to varying degrees. The spring still firmly drives the bolt into the barrel lug, thus locking the action properly.

Bill Murphy 02-15-2013 01:38 PM

Pre bolt plate guns commonly go past center. I don't mess with them. I have a gun or two that are not tight when closed. If I could find someone to put a nice shim at the bottom of the slot, I would have them do it and I would file it in. I don't think it is the easiest place to install a .002 shim.