Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Guns that you turned your nose to but have changed your mind (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30211)

Craig Larter 05-15-2020 06:56 PM

Guns that you turned your nose to but have changed your mind

In my collecting life I have never had any interest in the utility grade American doubles like the Fulton, Hunter Special and Nitro Specials. Bur recently I have spent time handling and researching these guns and have a new respect for there durability and solid quality. I think they represent an interesting part of our gun manufacturing history. How about you???

Steve Huffman 05-15-2020 07:12 PM

I buy what my eyes like and gun fund can afford never been disappointed .

Garry L Gordon 05-15-2020 07:15 PM

I could not agree with you more. I think guns like the Fulton and Nitro Special represent something of interest and value in the history of America, and certainly of gun manufacturing. These guns were my entry into collecting, and they represented good values then...and now.

charlie cleveland 05-15-2020 07:30 PM

I have never turned down a gun I liked or could afford...these guns being mentioned are all top quality guns...I would even add the lowly stevens to this group...charlie

Brian Dudley 05-15-2020 07:33 PM

The Lefever A grades are very nice guns. They dressed up the nitro special in just the right way.

Jerry Harlow 05-15-2020 07:43 PM

I like all of the "lower grade" guns. Lefever Nitro Special, Ithaca Flues, early Stevens with walnut and checkering, Winchester 24, Iver Johnson Hercules, Crescent, etc., and never hesitate to add these working class guns, fix them up and enjoy them. They brought home the game for millions of American hunters who could afford more than a single barrel. Especially when in 16 or smaller.

Daryl Corona 05-15-2020 08:04 PM

This was'nt a utility grade per se Craig but many moons ago I turned down a Win. M21 cased 2 barrel set in 20 ga., 26" and 28" because I'll admit I was a Parker snob at the time. I had the money and it was for sale for cheap money at the time.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bang head:

I still have the Stevens 311 20 ga. that my father bought for me and I take it out for a spin now and then. Just a really solid, albeit rough gun, that is still dear to me after 50 years.

Daryl Corona 05-15-2020 08:14 PM

This was'nt a utility grade per se Craig but many moons ago I turned down a Win. M21 cased 2 barrel set in 20 ga., 26" and 28" because I'll admit I was a Parker snob at the time. I had the money and it was for sale for cheap money at the time.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bang head:

I still have the Stevens 311 20 ga. that my father bought for me and I take it out for a spin now and then. Just a really solid, albeit rough gun, that is still dear to me after 50 years.

George Davis 05-15-2020 10:49 PM

Fox Sterlingworth

First started shooting/collecting doubles I walked by many Fox Sterlingworths.
Today 2 of my most prized "hunters" are my 1913 16 gauge and 1920 12 gauge. I've hunted multiple states and killed many upland game birds with those two guns. The only double I've had on Huns was the 16 gauge and last year in Montana, I accomplished the same on late season pheasant with the 12 gauge.

Bill Jolliff 05-15-2020 11:34 PM

I think for many of us, it gives us our first taste of side by side shotguns.

I started with a 12 gauge Ithaca Nitro Special. Then I found I needed a side by side 20 gauge and in shopping for that, I discovered Fox doubles were pretty darn nice. Parkers too.

And that's how it started about 60 years ago.

What a ride!