Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Damascus/modern shells (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26552)

Trey Miller 02-16-2019 11:04 PM

Damascus/modern shells

Question for everyone...I prefer to shoot a 16 ga with 2 3/4 Fiocchi high brass 6 shot shells for grouse hunting. (Please don’t respond arguing about my load of choice. I find I wound and lose much less grouse when I use this load.). I digress. My question is can you shoot these shells in Damascus barrels safely? I would not be targeting shoot with them. Would it matter if the chambers were altered to handle the 2 3/4 shell to decrease pressure or should you only stick to RST type 2 1/2 low powered shells?

Thanks,
Trey

Jay Gardner 02-16-2019 11:47 PM

I only shoot 2-1/2” RST’s in my damascus guns and I would never lengthen the chambers. Doesn’t take a lot to kill a grouse. Problem is hitting them.

https://i.imgur.com/OeoAU8Q.jpg

Trey Miller 02-17-2019 06:34 AM

Thanks for responding. I've shot many grouse with RST shells but (personally) I find that I let feathers fly too often without finding the birds. So I choose to shoot other shells. With that said can damascus barrels handle a 2 3/4 high brass shell?

Dean Romig 02-17-2019 07:19 AM

Trey, there are several variables in a Damascus gun’s ability to safely withstand shooting cartridges that weren’t meant to be used in a gun such as yours. I would recommend against altering your chambers, but instead have a very qualified person measure the wall thickness at the juncture of the forward end of the chamber where the forcing cone begins. That is by far the most critical point to be concerned with.

I have often shot 2 3/4” “high brass” loads in my 12 gauge DH with both the Titanic and the Damascus barrels which have 2 9/19” and 2 5/8” (respectively) chambers but have never attempted such a practice with my 0-frame 16’s.

Don’t tempt fate. Measure that juncture at the very least.

RST does however, use #6 shot in about any 2 1/2” shell you may want and they are quite sufficient for grouse. 1 ounce of those in a 2 1/2” shell is really all you need.

Trey Miller 02-17-2019 07:43 AM

Thanks for the reply Dean. Good advise. I’ll do just that!

Eric Johanen 02-17-2019 08:40 AM

There are plenty of low pressure hand loads that run around 1200 fps. #6 shot ( I use #7's) and a low pressure load around 1180 to 1200 fps work just fine and the factory loads in a low pressure range are not hard to find. BP comp 1's, RST, Polywad and Xperincia are just a few I use with great results and are easy on the guns. In my Damascus English doubles I stay below 7000 ps. Try hand loads or a few of the factory loads in that range and I believe you will have success.

Daniel Carter 02-17-2019 09:05 AM

Trey I think you would be well served by reading the posts of Drew Hause on this forum. He gives the most comprehensive advice concerning Damascus barrels that you can find. In the end no one can say what is good with out a thorough inspection of those barrels and knowing the pressure of the shell you intend to use.He has a web site that is very good.

James L. Martin 02-17-2019 09:28 AM

I also like #6 for Grouse , especially after the Woodcock are gone. I have had no problems using RST 12ga paper in #6 shot in my DH damacus. I would not use any high velocity loads.

Bruce Day 02-17-2019 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So for the experts here, which shells produce less recoil?

Jay Oliver 02-17-2019 10:54 PM

I just tried both in my 16 a few weeks ago. The 1200fps RSTs have noticeably less recoil in my 1 frame 16 with 30" barrels. A great low pressure high performing shell...in my opinion.