Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   we rescued a brittany (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26338)

Ed Norman 01-23-2019 10:09 PM

we rescued a brittany

1 Attachment(s)
my wife and I rescued a brittany nov. 2017. I had not hunted in about 40 years, I met a guy with 2 brittanies and he took me hunting all that fall. I mentioned to my wife I was "just thinking" about getting a brittany someday. She looks in craiglist every morning at the pet section. That morning, our "johnny cash" was listed. First time she has ever seen a brittany in craiglist. Cash weighed 69 pounds when we got him. The owners both worked and left him penned up all day, then they moved to a condo, so they had to give him up. One of the top brittany breeders lives about a mile from me. I took cash over to him for advice. About 2 months later the previous owners sent us his akc paperwork, it turns out cash was from the breeder that lives near me. That breeder and I are good friends now, he was happy we got his weight down and he is quite a good hunting dog for his first season. We recently went to a pheasant farm with cash and cash's mom, I will never forget that first point, cash slammed on the brakes, and his mom honored. She retrieved every bird that day. (cash is in training to retrieve) Cash was 2.5 years old when we got him, late start but he has more than made up for it. We have gotten a lifetime of memories our first year hunting. My wife often goes with me just to watch him run. I will try to post a before (heavy) and after photo.

Ed Norman 01-23-2019 10:13 PM

First time I ever got a picture on a forum:) That first picture was cash at about 65 pounds, we had him for about a week and a half by then. This next picture was right before grouse season opened, he was about 47 pounds. My wife and I lost about 50 pounds between us by walking him all the time. Can't remember how I got the first picture on here, I will try again.

Ed Norman 01-23-2019 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hopefully this time it worked. Cash at about 47 pounds just before grouse season started.

Mills Morrison 01-23-2019 10:29 PM

I am hanging out with mine right now. Great dogs

Karl Ferguson 01-23-2019 10:35 PM

Ed, I have enjoyed reading the happiness and excitement in all your posts so far ... Good for you... That's what it's all about

Ed Norman 01-23-2019 11:05 PM

Mills, what kind of dogs do you have? Are you a decoy collector, or do you carve? I married my wife 7 years ago, she lived with me for 3 years before that. She left her 2 dogs with her old roomate. I am allergic to most dogs. I got her a havanese dog right after she moved in, then another havanese about 3 years ago. Then our brittany, she used to have a doberman, and she walked that dog every day. She walks cash almost every day unless I do or I take him hunting. Karl, I guess I don't know how my posts are coming across. I just know the best thing that happened to me was getting remarried to a woman that likes dogs:) My whole life has changed for the better. It felt good again to not be able to sleep before opening day after a 40 year lay off. I was able to watch that brittany get better by the week, simply amazing. The breeder has helped me all along the way, and my buddy with 2 brittanies has taken me all over with cash helping him to find wild birds, he gave me an extra kennel he had for my truck, then a ramp because cash is so heavy. He would talk to me and tell me why his brittanies do certain things while we hunted so I would learn how to handle cash. I don't see my pictures, did they disappear? Or do you guys see them and I don't? Sorry I can barely turn on a computer so this is a minor miracle getting a picture on here.

Ed Norman 01-23-2019 11:18 PM

ugh, I just figured out I was trying to edit something and the pictures disappeared. I am really excited about owning an old gun someday soon hopefully. It brings back such good memories of hunting with my dads best friend who had side by sides. My dad was not a hunter, so Lewi kind of adopted me. I may even name my gun after him:)

George Davis 01-24-2019 10:58 AM

Brittany

1 Attachment(s)
Constant companion and wonderful bird bird, she has pointed over 100 wild birds this year.

Mills Morrison 01-24-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Norman (Post 263776)
Mills, what kind of dogs do you have? Are you a decoy collector, or do you carve? I married my wife 7 years ago, she lived with me for 3 years before that. She left her 2 dogs with her old roomate. I am allergic to most dogs. I got her a havanese dog right after she moved in, then another havanese about 3 years ago. Then our brittany, she used to have a doberman, and she walked that dog every day. She walks cash almost every day unless I do or I take him hunting. Karl, I guess I don't know how my posts are coming across. I just know the best thing that happened to me was getting remarried to a woman that likes dogs:) My whole life has changed for the better. It felt good again to not be able to sleep before opening day after a 40 year lay off. I was able to watch that brittany get better by the week, simply amazing. The breeder has helped me all along the way, and my buddy with 2 brittanies has taken me all over with cash helping him to find wild birds, he gave me an extra kennel he had for my truck, then a ramp because cash is so heavy. He would talk to me and tell me why his brittanies do certain things while we hunted so I would learn how to handle cash. I don't see my pictures, did they disappear? Or do you guys see them and I don't? Sorry I can barely turn on a computer so this is a minor miracle getting a picture on here.

I have one Brittany. I have a small collection of decoys, although I am not really a collector of them.

Stephen Hodges 01-24-2019 11:57 AM

Ed, good for you and your wife. I like dog stories with a happy not sad ending:)