Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Lefever H 12 Gauge Questions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25844)

Michael D Hankinson 12-01-2018 09:21 PM

Lefever H 12 Gauge Questions

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up a 12 - 30" Barrels "H" Grade today at the local Grand Rapids MI Gun Show.
Barrels are marked "Second" Also wondering what pattern these barrels have?
Chokes appear to be IM in both barrels. Need to get a box of RST low pressure to try this one out. Thanks in Advance

Sara LeFever 12-01-2018 11:12 PM

Hi Michael,

The "second" would make me think that they are the second set of barrels made for that gun (that's just my guess; I could be totally wrong). I'd say the barrels are twist. I'm sure someone will be along with more definite answers.

Thanks for sharing! Any photos of the full gun? :)

Sara

Michael D Hankinson 12-01-2018 11:19 PM

Lefever 12 - H 30"

Will take a few more photos tomorrow, I had just never seethe word "Second" on a set of barrels before, not all that familiar with Lefever guns other than the Nitro Specials.

Frank Srebro 12-02-2018 12:03 AM

H-Grade Lefevers were made with Best London Twist or Carman Fluid Steel barrels. Obviously yours are twist and the colors look so uniform they may have been redone.

Most 12-gauge Twist Lefever barrels will have factory bores of .739/740" diameter; thus if your drop-in choke gauge is reading I-Mod, the chokes are probably something like: strong Full.

The LAC protocol was to factory-number a second set of barrels to the frame even though they may have another production number. This will account for two different serial numbers on a 2nd set. The Lefever Arms Company only made first quality guns. Hence it's my guess the SECOND imprint on your barrel flats indicates a minor cosmetic issue (gun sold at a discount) and perhaps that your gun was assembled from parts after Ithaca bought the LAC?

Brian Dudley 12-02-2018 10:15 AM

Never seen that “second” marking before. Very interesting and could mean just about anything. And may not even be factory. One can only speculate.

Bob Decker 12-02-2018 11:47 AM

I will go along with Brian in never having seen the "Second" on a set of barrels before. If it were a second set of barrels I would expect a second serial number, as the barrels were numbered as they arrived and the frame was then numbered to the barrels at finishing. In addition it is rare for the grade of the barrels to be stamped along with the serial number in original Syracuse Lefevers. More photos of this gun might help to reveal its secrets.

Michael D Hankinson 12-02-2018 01:32 PM

Default Lefever H 12 Gauge Questions

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more photos, The "H" is also on the water table. Bought the gun from a Gentleman who was carrying the gun around the show while his son was trying to pedal a couple of Black Guns, no interesting the Old Double. Appreciate the replies to gain info. I don't normally look at 12s but could not turn this one down.

George Lang 12-02-2018 02:17 PM

I have seen A H Fox guns marked second and there was an article years ago in the Double Gun Journal that explained what it was. No longer have any DGJ's left to look it up.

Frank Srebro 12-02-2018 02:41 PM

Looks like a decent gun. Just for info, I currently own (3) original H-Grade Lefevers that span this gun's serial number and all three have the H imprint on their barrels.

Michael D Hankinson 12-02-2018 06:56 PM

LEFEVER 12 - H 30"

3 Attachment(s)
Here are three more photos for reference. What would the stock chamber length be on this gun?