Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Repro Case Colors (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34045)

John Allen 08-20-2021 03:21 PM

Repro Case Colors

3 Attachment(s)
I know there has been a lot of discussion about the case colors on Parker Repros. I recently bought a 20ga. DHE from the original buyer. He bought it new in the box from a retail store. He has not done anything to the gun. It has the most vivid case colors I have ever seen on a repro. The colors look like Turnbulls work. I know some people sent their guns to Turnbull for recoloring, but this gun came from the factory this way. My question is did Turnbull ever do case coloring for the factory or for Parker Reproductions direct? I hope Mr. Skeuse can answer this. I have attached photos of the gun. Bear in mind that this gun has seen some use by both me and the previous owner. No color loss yet.

Richard Flanders 08-20-2021 11:57 PM

Take it hunting and see how they wear off quickly. I bought one online from a big dealer and they didn't pad it at all inside the case; just left it to rattle around in shipping. The case colors were sprinkled all over the inside of the case like silvery pepper when I opened it. I've hunted with it quite a lot since then and the colors are mostly gone now. There's been a lot of discussion of this issue on this forum.

Brian Dudley 08-21-2021 07:10 AM

The factory in japan used a stain to simulate the appearance of case colors.
The colors on this gun do look like legit Bone Charcoal case colors. It could have been a gun that was finished stateside after the factory closed. Parts and guns in process were sent to NJ. Any guns that could be put together and completed for sale were done using gunsmiths here. So, the gun could in fact be one of those.

John Allen 08-21-2021 07:59 AM

The fellow I got it from was a grouse hunter. He said he hunted with it for 2 seasons. I have shot clays with it all summer. The colors are still bright and show no signs of fading. Brian, I agree that the colors look like bone charcoal colors. I knew some had been redone, but did not know any DHEs got over here in the white, only the A1s that Galazan has. Thanks for the input.

Bill Murphy 08-21-2021 09:39 AM

John what is the serial number? Maybe it is, in fact, a late gun that came here unfinished.

John Allen 08-21-2021 05:25 PM

Bill, The serial number is 20-1059. Not a late gun I don't think. Years ago when I worked for Jaegers, I heard rumors that Parker Repro was not happy with the case colors and were looking for a source to help them out on it. I am hoping someone in the Skeuse family sees this thread and can shed light on this. I am not selling the gun. I shoot it very well and really like it. I just am puzzled over the bright colors.

Gary Laudermilch 08-21-2021 08:40 PM

I have four repros and none of them experienced any flaking or other bizarre behavior. The colors have held up quite well actually. My go to grouse gun has been hunted hard and the bottom of the action has worn to a nice grey patina but the remainder retains a lot of color. Guess I just got lucky.

Ryan Brege 08-22-2021 11:13 AM

My 20 is the same, the corners are starting go get bright but zero signs of flaking. Very vibrant colors also.

allen newell 08-30-2021 04:50 PM

I shoot my 2 20 ga Repros regularly and the colors have held up well. I thought the Repros were colored using the cyanide process. Could be mistaken

John Allen 08-30-2021 04:58 PM

That is the question I am asking. Did Parker Repro have some few guns bone charcoal hardened? I think mine is done that way and it came from Parker Repro that way. Not a big deal, just curious.