Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Damascus Warning (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29088)

John Dallas 01-15-2020 09:15 AM

Damascus Warning

I suspect the topic has been discussed before, but i can't find it. Is there a definitive date when Damascus barrels were declared "unsafe"? Was it simultaneously by all manufacturers or by one company? Being the cynic I am, if several companies sent out the message at the same time, one wonders about collusion

Dean Romig 01-15-2020 09:26 AM

There was no specific date but of course there was collusion amongst gunmakers and ammunition makers (often being a subsidiary of the gun manufacturers) in that they wanted to create a market for their “new, safer” fluid pressed steel barrels. So what better way than to say pattern welded barrels would not hold up under the stress of smokeless and nitro powders.

Mills Morrison 01-15-2020 09:32 AM

Some of the propaganda had to have been fixed. And then it just bred more propaganda that continues to this day

todd allen 01-15-2020 09:35 AM

I visualize the gun makers of the day having a meeting.
"Look, the market is saturated, these guns seem to last forever - we gotta do something".

Mills Morrison 01-15-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 290480)
"Look, the market is saturated, these guns seem to last forever - we gotta do something".

Exactly!

Jeff Kuss 01-15-2020 10:07 AM

After WW1 you also had the problem of supply of Damascus tubes .

John Dallas 01-15-2020 10:23 AM

When was the first alert published? By whom?

Dean Romig 01-15-2020 10:29 AM

I will guess it was first announced or warned of by ammunition companies.

John Campbell 01-15-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 290480)

Possibly. But, more likely, the covert discussion went like this:

"Look, these new fluid steel barrels will add at least 30% more profit to each gun we sell. They can also be bored easily by machine. So, we have to convince the market place that those expensive Damascus barrels are not any good. Let's all tell our customers that Damascus is dangerous with smokeless powder. And the barrels could blow up and kill them.

They'll believe us. We're the experts. And everybody believes advertising."

And so it came to pass...

(no Russians were involved in this scam)

John Dallas 01-15-2020 10:51 AM

I figured it was an economic decision, but never thought about the possibility of scarcity of tubes after WWI.