Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Patience... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24198)

Alexander Sharpe 05-08-2018 10:26 AM

Patience...

I've learned how to have patience while fishing for a certain species. I can't set the hook on the first bait attack. I'll wait the three seconds and then slowly lift the rod. When the next attack comes a quick setting of the hook by raising my rod as quick as I can. Got em'. Well except for landing him in the boat, I got em'.

Patience at sea, patience in the woods, and patience in the hospital. As a new Parker aficionado I need some Parker Patience. I'm unaccustomed to the genre. Is there even such a concept, or do I just jump into denial of desire. " No, you can't have that." As if that can stop the yearning.

I did order the Parker Pages as suggested by some, but that was last Thursday and it hasn't even shipped yet. Maybe I should stay off Guns International for a while, or take the Mrs shopping yet again. Nope, nice try but that doesn't work. " How do you like this blouse honey? Honey are you even listening?" Meanwhile I don't even see the item or hear the question. I have the husband thousand yard stare, while thinking, hmm Bernard barrels must be terrific and I really admire the hammer guns. Then I do notice the stare. " Honey it looks wonderful on you, take it. " Where the heck is that book?

I leave off with a question, is there such a thing as Parker Patience ?

Dean Romig 05-08-2018 10:30 AM

It comes with time and experience... after you have made a few 'mistake' purchases. Those tend to teach humility and patience.

Most of us have survived that stage.

Garry L Gordon 05-08-2018 11:45 AM

What a great question. You'll find a number of "seasoned" Parker folks on this site, and get to see others in the throes of dealing with a lack of patience. I think many among the more seasoned group would tell you that early on they made decisions in haste that ultimately they regretted, although they can now recognize how they learned and grew from those lapses of patience. If you can exercise that patience you refer to, let us know your secret. If not, you'll find some to commiserate with here.

Have fun!

Mike Franzen 05-08-2018 04:00 PM

There is a “Law” of the universe that states, as soon as you buy a gun you don’t really want, within days you will find the the one you really wanted.

Mills Morrison 05-08-2018 04:04 PM

Paying too much for some of them is just a rite of passage

Rich Anderson 05-08-2018 04:08 PM

The next Parker is the best Parker. Welcome to the afflicted, there is no cure just more Parkers .:rotf:

Randy G Roberts 05-08-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 243313)
Paying too much for some of them is just a rite of passage

Reminds me of the old adage. I have never paid too much for a gun, but I have bought a few too early.:rotf:

Alexander Sharpe 05-09-2018 06:17 AM

I agree Dean becoming bloodied teaches humility quickly. i deconstructed a shotgun shell at age eleven. What I didn't know was the primer was an explosive and not merely a striker. After removing it from the heel of my hand, the blood flowed rather well.

After following the behaviors set by Tom Sawyer, Toby Tyler, and Jack London I understand seasoning. Mobirdhunter thanks for the post. It is a great question and I agree most seasoned members will agree there's always some room for more. Foolhardy and adventurous are two distinct concepts.

Mike your post reminds me of " What is the Law ?" More pain !" No no Dr, Moreau, we're not going there. A small tweak or a nose hair snap at most. Losing a thousand on a deal is not a disabling occurrence but it does smart.

Mills, just the mention of rites of passage allows us to know your position. I'm not saying it refers to parkers, but they are magnificent occurrences. I almost lost my pollywogness, but was directed elsewhere just prior to the proceedings.

It never fails, or at least up until now, I've thought of the next one almost before I arrived home with the new one. C.O.B. I'd like to get my first best Parker first. LOL

Randy I'd like to continue that thought by adding, and sold it through anger for a loss and completed the debacle.

Thank folks, thought I'd address you all and perhaps become more familiar. In time I may be able to add to Parker specifics, but for now I can only print what I know.

Remaining faithful The Parker Story will arrive soon. One week and counting.

Bobby Cash 05-09-2018 04:47 PM

Patience is a double edged sword. On the buy as well as on the sell.
Am I alone in too hurriedly surrendering a fine gun in hopes of the next,
only to learn that I had acted impetuously and now regret the departure of something I wish I still had?

My Grandma used to say, "Let us make haste slowly".
If only I had listened.:crying:

Mills Morrison 05-09-2018 05:01 PM

Too much patience can also lead to the "one that got away" syndrome.