Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Found an Unusual Reproduction (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22371)

Gerry Addison 10-07-2017 06:24 PM

Found an Unusual Reproduction

Just today found what I believe to be a very unusual Parker Reproduction, certainly one I've never seen before. To begin with it is a Steel Shot Special which doesn't in itself make is so rare as I've owned several of them. Next it is a two barrel set, both barrels correctly marked and numbered to the gun. The one set is 28" and choked IC and Mod as all steel shot specials are. The other set and here is the rare part, they are 30" in length :eek:. One set of barrels has a splinter forend, the other has a beavertail. Gun is straight grip, single trigger. Cased in correct case. The previous owner said he bought the gun from Bill Jaqua "years ago" and he was told there were only two sets like this produced. I have no idea if this is true, but I know I've never seen a set like this. Gun is in used condition and at some point the 30" barrels were sent to Briley and thin wall chokes were installed. What a great gun to take duck hunting and then take to the sporting clays field! Has anyone seen another set like this one? Again, both barrels have all the correct markings and are numbered to the gun. This is not a set that was added on at some point. Really a neat set!

Bill Davis 10-07-2017 09:44 PM

Nice find Gerry! I wish I could shoot Parker repros. They're all stocked too high for me. I keep looking though!!

Scot Cardillo 10-07-2017 11:15 PM

Nice find - pretty cool it’s in a case, too. Do the forends interchange between barrels and are both irons serialized properly? In another thread John Allen said he is aware of three 30” barrels (including his). I wonder if this is one of the three?? I’m curious, what is the choke marking on the flats?

Gerry Addison 10-07-2017 11:56 PM

Both forends do interchange. The 30" barrels which have the Briley thin walls are marked Mod and Full. All other markings on this barrel are exactly like every other Repro I've owned. The funny thing is, the splinter forend is case colored on the inside with the serial number. The beavertail has engine turned non-case colored with the serial number.

Scot Cardillo 10-08-2017 01:13 AM

I’m fairly certain that's typical across all Repro’s. (i.e., splinter = CC / BT = engine turned) It appears to me 30” barrels are synonymous with Steel Shot Special’s..interesting. How about some pics?

You sure come across some nice guns!

Scot Cardillo 10-08-2017 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 226165)
Nice find Gerry! I wish I could shoot Parker repros. They're all stocked too high for me. I keep looking though!!

I am a head-erect instinctual shooter and had problems with the Repro's, at first. (shooting high) Once I learned to pull the stock in tight, the issue pretty much went away.

John Allen 11-08-2017 10:00 PM

There were only 25 30" repro barrels built.They made a prototype run just before the Japanese pulled the rug out from under Parker Repro.I have a set on my serial number 26 gun.I also had Briley tubes installed.They are so rare that this set you have is only the 3rd set I have heard of.I think a set of 30" barrels should sell for at least $3000.I priced my set at $3500 and had 2 offers at $3000 and chickened out and kept them.You have found what is probably the hardest to find combo of all.

Gerry Addison 11-08-2017 11:48 PM

Thanks John. Mr Skeuse was unsure of the number produced but he said it was a "handful" no more. I feel very fortunate to have it.

Greg Baehman 12-03-2017 10:57 AM

A question that is a bit perplexing is why would the factory pair a set of 30" barrels choked M/F to the Steel Shot Special?

One answer perhaps might be "Why not?"

George M. Purtill 12-04-2017 11:27 AM

Were they exclusively for the SSS?
The catalog on our home page says the 30 inch barrels were IC/M or M/F.