Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Moose Molds (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27186)

CraigThompson 04-28-2019 02:37 PM

Moose Molds

4 Attachment(s)
I discovered a new mold manufacturer in Dublin PA a few weeks ago . They’re called “Moose Moulds” and there primary reason for existence is to supply NSS-A shooters with ML molds . Anyway they make a mold they call a “Wadcutter Minnie” for 58 and 69 cal MUskets . So after measuring my 10 and 12 gauge slugs that fit inside shot cups I ordered a .715-535 for the 10 gauge and a .685-535 for the 12 gauge . The 535 grains is pure lead with a hollow base , ill use a 50/50 alloy of WW’s and pure . I also had them make me an extra pin for each mold so I can cast them as solid base as well , I would “assume” that will add 50-75 grains . I’ll see when I cast both versions Monday or Tuesday .

CraigThompson 04-28-2019 02:42 PM

If I can get these things to meet my parameters I think I’ll order another for use in the 20 gauge . Sorry to say they don’t make a Minnie design close enough for use in a 16 gauge . They do however make a roundball mold that would work in the 16 . I already have El Cheapo Lee roundball molds for use in the 10 , 12 and 20 so I just might try one of their roundball molds the correct size for my 16’s . And to answer the question before it’s asked , no I do not need these I already have slugs and most roundballs covered , but ......... what the heck :rotf:

charlie cleveland 04-28-2019 03:40 PM

thanks for the update on these moose molds..i too want one of those 10 ga molds...the things can keep us busy on our off days this summer...i sure would like to get one of my old 10 s to shoot pretty good out to 50 yards...i ve used gage mates and shot 12 ga slugs its pretty acurate at 40 steps with them...but aint like haveing a 10 ga shell in there....charlie

CraigThompson 04-28-2019 07:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 272548)
thanks for the update on these moose molds..i too want one of those 10 ga molds...the things can keep us busy on our off days this summer...i sure would like to get one of my old 10 s to shoot pretty good out to 50 yards...i ve used gage mates and shot 12 ga slugs its pretty acurate at 40 steps with them...but aint like haveing a 10 ga shell in there....charlie

Look on Ebay for the Russian Federation Molds . I bought one of theirs for the 10 gauge it looks just like a Lyman 525 sabot but it's larger in diameter and fits perfectly in a REM SP-10 wad .

The first three pics are from the Ebay sale thing and the last is of slugs I cast with hot melt glue in the hollow base .

CraigThompson 04-28-2019 07:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have so far purchased two of the Russian molds one for the 10 and another for the 16 .

The one for the 16 shoots very well from my old circa 1911 GH that had an inch trimmed from the barrels many many years ago . It isn't hard to hit a small paper plate at 50 yards .

Now with that being said I haven't tried to kill a deer past 30 yards with any of my slug or buck concoctions .

CraigThompson 04-29-2019 04:40 PM

Was able to cast some today . Used both molds first casting two dozen of each size . And then changing the plugs and doing the same amount of solid base in both sizes .

CraigThompson 04-29-2019 04:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Only took pics of the larger version as without calipers you can't tell the difference .

charlie cleveland 04-29-2019 09:14 PM

good looking slugs if they fly true you have succeeded....charlie

Bill Murphy 04-30-2019 04:34 AM

How tight in the bore do we want the slug in a wad cup to fit? I wouldn't want to be mistaken for someone who knows nothing about shooting slugs in shotguns, but I do have a few questions. In an unrifled bore, can we expect any serious accuracy with some experimentation? I am impressed by this whole project. Thanks.

CraigThompson 04-30-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 272691)
How tight in the bore do we want the slug in a wad cup to fit? I wouldn't want to be mistaken for someone who knows nothing about shooting slugs in shotguns, but I do have a few questions. In an unrifled bore, can we expect any serious accuracy with some experimentation? I am impressed by this whole project. Thanks.

Best way to answer those questions is give it a go yourself . What I may or may not deem satisfactory as far as accuracy or tightness in the bore are concerned is purely relative .