Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Not quite a basket case, but close. Need a good Parker Gunsmith (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19259)

stevenjay 06-15-2016 11:57 PM

Not quite a basket case, but close. Need a good Parker Gunsmith

7 Attachment(s)
I picked a Parker VH Grade made in 1906 about 10 years ago for cheap, real cheap. It had some garage gunsmithing done on it, a bad carving job on the butt stock which I'd like to replace and it looks like some one even used an easy out on one of the screws. Now the good part, It looks like all the parts are there, the bores are nice and shiney and when close the barrels are tight against the action. I black powder hunt with other double classics, a L. C. Smith, a Fulton and a Model 99 Forehand Damascus hammer Double (the most fun). I would love to get the Parker up and running. Can anyone recommend a good Parker gunsmith? Here are some pictures of the Parker. Thanks, Steve

George Lander 06-16-2016 12:22 AM

Jim Kelly, Darlington Gun Works, Darlington, South Carolina Phone (843) 893-3831

Best Regards, George

Rick Losey 06-16-2016 07:52 AM

you could contact Brian Dudley on this board- search his name to see some of his work

but something to think about- if its a 12 ga you can be under water on the value of a VH real quick

Dean Romig 06-16-2016 08:24 AM

Be careful - the stock doesn't appear to be original - there's no evidence of a shield in the bottom of the stock.

Paul Ehlers 06-16-2016 09:38 AM

Keep in mind. A stock replacement can be somewhere around $2000.00 plus or minus a few hundred either way. The trigger plate screws need replaced & I see the top tang screw is backed out some & you don't know what the internals look like until it's opened up.

Over all this one could be like a boat. "A big hole in the water to throw you're money"

I'm not saying don't do the work, I am saying: Have your eye's wide open going in.

Chris Travinski 06-16-2016 09:51 AM

At least the lever is still to the right :rotf:

Dean Romig 06-16-2016 09:54 AM

Yeah but that screw is holding it there...

Dean Romig 06-16-2016 09:54 AM

sorry - duplicate post.

Brian Dudley 06-16-2016 09:56 AM

This gun is a good example of a Labor of Love if it were to have any work done to it. Other than using it as a shooter as it sits, any money thrown at it would be more than the gun is realistically worth since so much of it has already been abused and messed up.

Harold Lee Pickens 06-16-2016 10:02 AM

Well, at least he didnt pay much for it("cheap, real cheap"). I see no reason why it wouldnt shoot, so would make a good rainy day/ beater gun. Or good project gun for someone who wants to try a little "gunsmithing education".