Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ithaca Crass Grade 3 original finishes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30083)

Bill Graham 04-26-2020 09:33 AM

Ithaca Crass Grade 3 original finishes

What were the original finishes for the action of an Ithaca Crass Grade 3, such as safety, and top lever? I’m assuming the action was color cased of course, triggers and guard blued. I never seen an original condition version to go on.

Through disassembly I’ve learned that the safety mechanism essentially locks the action and trigger plate together, and they cannot be separated without the stock coming off. The trigger plate also has to be screwed on to keep the trip and trip spring in place, so are there any particular things to be careful of when when sliding the action back into the stock. I’d ask these questions at the Ithaca owners forum, but registration there does not seem to work these days.

Thank you.

Stan Hoover 04-26-2020 06:47 PM

Crass Finishes and Assembly

Hello Bill,
I will take a closer look at a few of my Crass models when I’m home hopefully tomorrow. The action was of course case colored, the triggers I believe blued and the trigger guard either blued or nitre blued.

I cannot honestly say I have had a Crass apart, but Flues and NID’s multiple times. I’ve never heard of the safety mechanism locking the trigger plate and action together, but I’ve never had a Crass apart.
Stan

Bill Graham 04-26-2020 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hoover (Post 301202)
Hello Bill,
I will take a closer look at a few of my Crass models when I’m home hopefully tomorrow. The action was of course case colored, the triggers I believe blued and the trigger guard either blued or nitre blued.

I cannot honestly say I have had a Crass apart, but Flues and NID’s multiple times. I’ve never heard of the safety mechanism locking the trigger plate and action together, but I’ve never had a Crass apart.
Stan

Hi Stan,
I should have posted a picture. The action is now clean as a whistle and back together. What I’m not sure about is about sliding the action back into the stock.

Bill Graham 04-27-2020 01:00 PM

What looks like stairs going up from the trigger plate is a series of pieces that are screwed or pinned together. From the middle section there is a prong that shoots forward into a whole in the action that the bolt presses on to set the safety. This gun has a 3-position safety like a Smith. The upper most leg of this piece is screwed to the underside of the safety button.

Bill Graham 04-27-2020 01:00 PM

Does anyone has a really nice grade 3 forend that is willing to post of picture of? I need a clear example of the checkering pattern on one. Thanks!

Stan Hoover 04-27-2020 01:38 PM

Crass grade 3

Bill,
I do have a few different grade 3 Crass guns, I haven't attempted to post pictures on the forum, but I will try later today when I make it home.
Stan

Tom Poss 04-27-2020 03:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Bill--here is a forend from grade 3 --hope it helps

Attachment 83498

Attachment 83499

Attachment 83500

Milton C Starr 04-27-2020 07:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
seen this old ad for a Crass Grade 3 which appears to be original .

Stan Hoover 04-28-2020 02:47 PM

Ithaca Crass Grade 3

3 Attachment(s)
Bill,
My Crass grade 3 guns were either really worn or the 1 I feel doesn’t have the original checkering. I do have a Lewis model with I believe correct grade 3 checkering. This does agree with the pics posted by Tom & Milton.