Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Slo-Mo Shot Pattern (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24851)

Todd Poer 07-31-2018 11:16 PM

Slo-Mo Shot Pattern

Was goofing around and saw this with Blaser shotguns. Don't know much about them, but this slo mo video of busting clays has to be one of the best I have ever seen. Thought it cool to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8LPRHEhAuw

Mike Poindexter 07-31-2018 11:43 PM

I really like the scene about 2/3 of the way through where the girl dusts the bird with one pellet without breaking it. From the video, it looks like she had the bird in the pattern, just not enough density to make several hits. Makes me feel better about some of the shots I've missed when I thought I had it.. Maybe just not enough pattern. Dont get me wrong--I miss plenty that arent even close, just that sometimes you think "why?" when everything looks and feels right. Thanks for posting.

Daryl Corona 08-01-2018 06:56 AM

I've seen that video before and I think it would be an interesting study if they did it with different choke constrictions, say cylinder vs. full. The chipped bird looks to me to have been shot over and behind by her and I'm betting that if she had a tighter choke in she would have at least broke a chip off it. If you stop it at 2:15 and advance the video frame by frame to 2:18 you'll see the holes in the pattern. It just confirms my fondness for tight chokes and 7 1/2's.

Todd Poer 08-01-2018 08:24 PM

Sometimes you hit em and they don't break. I looked at her shot then also one of his and it looked like both were in edge of pattern except his broke and hers was just dusted. BTW if its dusted don't they score that a hit? Not up on all the rules.

I like the shot string and how relatively tight the pellets were. Some of those angles it was hard to tell if there was a shot string. My guess is that they were also about 15 to 20 yards or maybe 10 yards. That wad hitting the target so hard makes me think those were close shots and open chokes. Just a guess though.

Carl G. Bachhuber 08-19-2018 09:08 AM

Got to wonder how close those birds were to the shooter? In some of the photos the wad was hitting pieces of the pigeon.
C.G.B.

Richard Flanders 08-19-2018 11:40 AM

I have always been under the impression that even a single pellet hit that causes enough disruption of the clays flite for the caller to see is considered a hit. I miss so many clays shooting left handed that I have been shooting on a sand bar this summer where the clays land in soft sand and often don't break. I fetch and reuse the whole ones, sometimes as many as 3 times, and some have 3-4 holes in them and are still not broken. BTW, I like my little Atlas battery-powered thrower with a foot switch. Makes it easier to get at least a half decent gun mount when shooting alone. Much better than a Trius step thrower. It's very portable also. Breaks down to fit in a small tote and goes into the back seat of the plane.

Daryl Corona 08-19-2018 12:35 PM

It has to be a visible piece to be considered a broken target. I've seen more dust off targets with #8, 8.5 and 9's than I do with 7.5's. That's why I prefer tight chokes and 7.5's. Your mileage may vary.

Todd Poer 08-19-2018 08:12 PM

Thank you was not really proficient on actual rule and to lazy to look it up. I recall watching some skeet shooting competitions and seeing them score hits when it looked like targets were not broken but did see dust flying of them. Semantics of competition. But I like seeing the targets pulverized.

Carl I agree with you. They were probably within ten to fifteen yards, maybe 20, for the wad to be busting into the target like that. BTW have no idea what chokes they are using either or even what gauge. What I thought was interesting was even in those relative short distances for filming you could see the effect of shot string.

John Dallas 08-19-2018 08:22 PM

I admit I've never seen the calculation, but the wad will be 'way slower than the shot string. Think about all the wads you walk around going to st station 8 on the sleet field. For the wad to hit a skeet target, I think you would have to be 'way out in front of it

Dean Romig 08-19-2018 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have actually seen the shot string under favorable light conditions.

The camera caught this one.

It's not often that I miss in front... this is one of those rare occasions.