Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Missing hammer... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31300)

Micah Hostetler 10-04-2020 01:08 AM

Missing hammer...

5 Attachment(s)
So I’m new here so bare with me guys. I acquired this fine shotgun missing the right hammer and screw and would like to get it back in working order again. I’m new to the parker shotguns so any info on the gun itself and/or finding a replacement hammer would be greatly appreciated. I’m pretty sure the hammer existing hammer screw is not original.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-04-2020 07:57 AM

Hi Micah, you landed in the right spot. Nice old hammer gun, I love shooting hammer guns at both game and clays. I think you will find some help here .Brian Dudley, an expert in working on and restoring our old guns may have one in his parts inventory, I'm sure he will respond. Also Dave Fjeline in California makes hammers. Tell us a little more about the gun, the serial # will give us its date of manufacture. How are the bores?-probably the most important factor in getting that old beauty back in shooting order.

Dean Romig 10-04-2020 07:59 AM

Before getting a hammer and screw to get the gun back in working order, it is recommended that you have the barrel wall thicknesses measured by a qualified double-gun expert with the correct tools. No sense putting money into a gun that might be unsafe to shoot.

Micah Hostetler 10-04-2020 10:54 AM

The gun is in very good condition imo. No pitting inside the barrels or outside. Action is ver tight, no cracks or repairs in the wood. Serial numbers all match. There are 2 very small dents in the left barrel. Barely visibly to my eyes but I can feel them when I run my hand over them. Serial number is 36020.

I have shot a few RST loads through it.

Harold Lee Pickens 10-04-2020 08:17 PM

That left hammer looks original to me, Micah.Hopefully someone may chime in that has one to spare.

Micah Hostetler 10-04-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 313409)
That left hammer looks original to me, Micah.Hopefully someone may chime in that has one to spare.

I’ve looked at a lot of guns from the same era and I agree on the hammer. I think the hammer screw was changed out tho. I bought a 1979 parts gun and the screws on it are half the diameter of this screw and there is a “flat ring” all around the outside of the screw head. This seems to match the pictures I’ve found of this era. The existing screw does not have that flat ring.

Dean Romig 10-04-2020 10:39 PM

I agree with you Micah.

Breck Gorman 10-05-2020 10:01 PM

Existing hammer looks right. Hammer screw looks unoriginal.
If you can’t find original replacements,
Dave Fjelline makes hammers from a steel that is less likely to break.
I got a pair of hammer screws made by Tom Carter, also on this board, and they were perfect and affordable.

Micah Hostetler 10-06-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Gorman (Post 313472)
I got a pair of hammer screws made by Tom Carter, also on this board, and they were perfect and affordable.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you sir.

Micah Hostetler 10-17-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Gorman (Post 313472)

It appears Dave Fjelline is no longer active here. Is there another way to contact him or another source for a hammer?