Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trouble with a new 1927 12 Ga Trojan (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27523)

ScottDupons 06-11-2019 11:58 AM

Trouble with a new 1927 12 Ga Trojan

I am new to this forum so please forgive me. I have just obtained a very nice Trojan 12. I believe that it may have been refinished or an attempt at restoration at one point due to its condition but that may or may not be correct. I have two issues with the gun that I could use some guidance with please. First the spring mechanism on the fore-end seems to be frozen. The roller is working but it is not receding when applied to the barrel. I assume at this point that a gunsmith is in order. Secondly, my barrels will not break from the receiver. They function properly. Cock and lock correctly and tight but when attempting to remove, they are loose but will not release. I have had dozens of side by sides and never encountered this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your patience with my ignorance.

Mills Morrison 06-11-2019 12:09 PM

Welcome Scott! You might try dry firing the gun to get the barrels off of the receiver. This is a relatively common issue with hammerless Parkers. I have a few with that problem and just dry fire them and they come right off.

The fore end issue I am not familiar with and that may require a gunsmith.

ScottDupons 06-11-2019 12:24 PM

Thank you sir. I will give it a try.

ScottDupons 06-11-2019 12:26 PM

No luck. Barrels seem loose just like they should but they will not lift off. Very strange.

Dean Romig 06-11-2019 01:01 PM

Probably not disengaging from the cocking hook. Sometimes this is caused by a bit of crud in there. Worst case scenario is that the action needs to be partially disassembled and removing the floorplate will allow disengagement.

I had a forend like that once. But it appears you have the forend off.... so it must have been on, right?

ScottDupons 06-11-2019 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, The forend was on and it was h--- getting it off. I am afraid to reassemble it as I do not want to break the wood.

ScottDupons 06-11-2019 01:14 PM

Excuse my rudeness, thank you.

Brian Dudley 06-11-2019 01:16 PM

If you search “unhooking” on this board, you will find the topic is a common one to come up from time to time.

Try dry firing and then removing the barrels. That is a temp solution to the problem. If they still will not unhook, then a smith familiar with Parkers is in order.
The forend is a head scratcher kind of based on your description. Bear in mind that the spring in the forend are very strong. So you should not be able to move it by hand. Will the forend install and stay on?

ScottDupons 06-11-2019 01:19 PM

Yes sir, it stays on with a vengeance. I have never seen a forend so difficult to install or remove. I truly believe that it is corroded, frozen or the spring is bound up. I truly am afraid of breaking the wood. Thanks for the help.

Mills Morrison 06-11-2019 01:22 PM

Time for a good smith. Brian happens to be one of them, but if you search around, there are others mentioned on here too