Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bitter pill to swallow (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25794)

Harold Lee Pickens 11-25-2018 09:16 PM

Bitter pill to swallow

I was supposed to be in Kansas right now with Kenny Graft( SXS Ohio) and his buddy Steve, but I am still at home--Dr's orders. During the second week of my UP hunt, I was getting very wore out, and felt I couldn't get enough oxygen. Thought I had a walking pneumonia, and eventually left a day early.
My office is in a hospital, so my first day back, I saw my family doc in the physicians lounge, told him what was happening, and he listened to my heart and lungs there in the lounge. He looked at me incredulously, and said I had a significant heart murmer that he had never heard before. Well, many tests later, the cardiologist is telling me that I have a very serious mitral valve prolapse/disfunction, and my tricuspid valve is also not functioning properly.
Bottom line, I will soon be having heart surgery at Ohio State. I meet with the surgeon this Friday and will be told when and how they will do the surgery.
I was a marathon runner for25 years, finishing in the top 25% of the Boston Marathon at age 50, and at 55 ran stride for stride with Australia's Iron Man Masters champion. I play tennis 3-4X per week also.I have never spent a day in a hospital, and never been on any medication. My blood pressure is still
90/60, pulse rate in the 50's, and my coronary arteries are running like fire hoses. How this could happen so suddenly is beyond my comprehension, but I will be back out there next year. Hopefully being in good shape will hasten my recovery. Heart valve surgery is very common these days--I bet some here have had it. So God willing, I will see you all at the Southern and at Hausmann's this spring.

Rick Losey 11-25-2018 09:22 PM

good luck Harold

as you say, common surgery these days, if its for someone else

follow orders and stick to small bores

seriously,, our prayers are with you

Chris Travinski 11-25-2018 09:30 PM

I hope all goes well buddy. My grandmother had a valve replacement, cow parts. She wasn't in very great health to begin with but had no problems with the surgery whatsoever and a quick recovery.

Mills Morrison 11-25-2018 09:34 PM

Sorry to hear the news. Hope your recovery goes well

Jim DiSpagno 11-25-2018 10:03 PM

Doc our prayers are with you. Attitude is half the battle. Jimmyd102

Karl Ferguson 11-25-2018 10:20 PM

Harold, Wishing you the very best ...

todd allen 11-25-2018 10:21 PM

For years, I hunted with a heart doc. He did a lot of valve replacements, said they were fairly routine. That said, I think all surgeries are serious, especially heart surgeries, so we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Greg Baehman 11-25-2018 10:46 PM

Sending good, healthy vibes your way for a speedy recovery.

John Truitt 11-25-2018 10:54 PM

All the best Doc. Speedy recovery and hope to hear ya out shooting soon

Brett Hoop 11-26-2018 12:54 AM

Harold
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I have been thinking about this since we spoke the other night.
Probably brought on by too many grouse flushes! Cumulative, what is it something like 34-35 years in the UP? Nobody could keep up with you before, nobody finds more grouse than you. Bit of a speed bump, and you'll be good for another 30+years.
Don't be charming all the nurses playing your guitar till all hours of the night.

You Got This!