Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A CHE Journey (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22373)

Justin Julian 10-07-2017 07:26 PM

A CHE Journey

5 Attachment(s)
Several years ago I purchased this 12 gauge CHE. Even though the rib matting ran right to the end, the book confirmed its 26" barrels and cylinder/full choke combo as original. I would imagine such an unusual choke combination would have been the result of a special order. The metal was scuffed and oxidized in places. The wood was even worse. Repair codes suggest it was sent back to Remington for a restock, and the results suggest it was done on a tight budget. The wood grain was not up to standards for the grade, and the checkering pattern was D grade instead of C. Then things only got worse when someone cut the stock down to 12", probably for a kid. I picked out a nice blank and off she went to Brian Dudley for a restock, with a skeleton butt plate and C grade checkering pattern. After polishing off the oxidation, several screws, the trigger guard, and butt plate were sent to Noelle Feutch for engraving. I (Classic Case Colors LLC) polished and rust blued the barrels, replaced the damaged beads, and color case hardened the frame and forend iron. The last step was a quick trip back to Miller Single Trigger company for a trigger tune-up, and the CHE was ready to go afield once again. The only problem was that by the time I got her back last year, all the bird seasons had closed. So it was a long wait until today when I finally had a chance to take her out into the grouse woods of northern Idaho. Back in the field where she belongs, she managed to scratch down a limit on her maiden voyage. It has been a long journey, but in my view, well worth every step.

Justin Julian 10-07-2017 07:27 PM

OOOPS...this was meant for the restoration page...if somebody could please move it...thanks.

Steve Huffman 10-07-2017 07:29 PM

Nothing but nice guys ! Nice work Brian !!!!!!

Bill Davis 10-07-2017 08:41 PM

Outstanding! A very worthwhile project. Grouse hunting looks pretty good in Idaho! I;'m jealous. Well done......

Eric Eis 10-08-2017 08:02 AM

Well done, looks like a great gun that should go for another 100 years !

Chuck Bishop 10-08-2017 08:45 AM

Beautiful restoration!

Reggie Bishop 10-08-2017 09:00 AM

Great story about a great gun! Enjoy!

Dean Romig 10-08-2017 09:29 AM

That's a good story on your CHE and a very nice finished product.

Very nice job on the wood Brian. Very well done drop points and checkering too.

In Will Geer's famous words from Jeremiah Johnson... "You have come a long way Pilgrim."
And I mean that in a very sincere way.

Mills Morrison 10-08-2017 11:48 AM

Very well done. Thanks for sharing

allen newell 10-08-2017 07:52 PM

Very nice Brian