Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Finally bought a PGCA membership (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27992)

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 06:32 PM

Finally bought a PGCA membership

Well I finally upgraded from forum associate :rotf: .
I still got a few months till I will be in the market for a Parkers but I figured it would be worth the membership to be able to read in the PGCA members only sections .

Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot .

Having PGCA under the name does look nicer than forum associate as someone else had said .

Rich Anderson 08-22-2019 06:53 PM

What are you looking for in a Parker? I have in the past bought several nice Parkers through here. One of my favorites is a GH 20 with 30 in ch Damascus barrels.

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 279749)
What are you looking for in a Parker? I have in the past bought several nice Parkers through here. One of my favorites is a GH 20 with 30 in ch Damascus barrels.

Well Im looking at a 8 gauge lifter G grade .
But its really depends how much I can save up by the end of November when the peanut harvest is over .

A #5 frame or #6 frame hammer gun in either 10 or 8 gauge .
I doubt I will be able to spend over 4900$ Though I suppose I could always just wait and save longer .

I swear that G frame 8 ga has been up for sale since 2011 .
Theres another 8 gauge Parkers listed but the grade is not and the barrels appear to be missing 4"s . The ungraded one is listed in the Parker book as 34" but it now has 30" . Im not against cut barrels as long as its reflected in the price . However the overall condition looks to be better than the G grade .

So im really just hoping to find a large frame hammergun in the 3500-4995$ range . I figure thats about what ill be able to put back come around November and have found some at dealers around that range .

Mills Morrison 08-22-2019 07:48 PM

Welcome aboard! When I bought my 8 bore, I saved and looked for a while. I passed up lower priced 8 bores and finally got what I really want and am glad I did.

Randy G Roberts 08-22-2019 07:54 PM

[QUOTE
Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard Milton. I believe this group knows where every Parker in the world is, well nearly. Post your wants in the WTB and you might be surprised. Best...

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 279756)
Welcome aboard! When I bought my 8 bore, I saved and looked for a while. I passed up lower priced 8 bores and finally got what I really want and am glad I did.

I was talking to a gun dealer who handles quite a few Parkers about 8 gauges .
He said they are pretty hard to sell . I guess a few factors come into play .
The restrictions on what you can hunt with them . Most people dont care for the weight and probably other things . Ive had some heavy 10 ga 3.5" guns before .I dont feel I will mind the extra 2lbs of weight . From what I can tell really the only bird you can hunt with them is turkeys . Which works out fine because a friend of my dads has alot of hunting land and he doesnt turkey hunt .

Im 26 and hope to get many years of memories out of what I end up buying . A double 8 gauge has been my dream gun since I was a teenager and now I am close to being able to actually afford one .

I figure that Parker 8 gauge wont go anywhere since its been sitting there for almost 10 yrs it seems .

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 279758)
[QUOTE
Its probably a long shot but I hope if I cant find the Parkers im looking for through a dealer maybe I can find one through the PGCA but its a slim chance I reckon but anythings worth a shot.

Welcome aboard Milton. I believe this group knows where every Parker in the world is, well nearly. Post your wants in the WTB and you might be surprised. Best...[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan once I have the amount put back . God willing we dont suffer another Hurricane like last year . Pretty much ruined our harvest season but by all account that one was a oddity .

Mills Morrison 08-22-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 279760)
I was talking to a gun dealer who handles quite a few Parkers about 8 gauges .
He said they are pretty hard to sell . I guess a few factors come into play .
The restrictions on what you can hunt with them . Most people dont care for the weight and probably other things . Ive had some heavy 10 ga 3.5" guns before .I dont feel I will mind the extra 2lbs of weight . From what I can tell really the only bird you can hunt with them is turkeys . Which works out fine because a friend of my dads has alot of hunting land and he doesnt turkey hunt .

Im 26 and hope to get many years of memories out of what I end up buying . A double 8 gauge has been my dream gun since I was a teenager and now I am close to being able to actually afford one .

I figure that Parker 8 gauge wont go anywhere since its been sitting there for almost 10 yrs it seems .

If it goes anywhere there will be more

Milton C Starr 08-22-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 279765)
If it goes anywhere there will be more

That is true , seems like though more hammerless 8 gauges pop up for sale than hammer guns by Parker anyhow . I found a Birmingham made 8 ga but the proof marks on it are kind of worrisome .

I think Pugs has a #4 frame 10 ga , the frame isnt listed but its a hammer gun at 10 3/4lbs . But at the price I think I could find a #5 or #6 frame . Also by the time I can buy maybe there will be more to look at in the market . Its always good to be keep other options open I think .

Mills Morrison 08-23-2019 09:49 AM

Some significant big bore collectors are, unfortunately, no longer with us and that has contributed to prices going down as of late.

Eventually, I would like to add a Quality 2 lifter and Quality 2 toplever 8 to my collection, but have some other goals for the moment, the current one being to enjoy the ones I have and get a few repaired.

Milton C Starr 08-23-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 279797)
Some significant big bore collectors are, unfortunately, no longer with us and that has contributed to prices going down as of late.

Eventually, I would like to add a Quality 2 lifter and Quality 2 toplever 8 to my collection, but have some other goals for the moment, the current one being to enjoy the ones I have and get a few repaired.

I have read that the market for collectible doubles is currently depressed .
I mostly look at 10 and 8 gauges and it seems they do not sell quickly .

Dean Romig 08-23-2019 11:50 AM

The market for “run of the mill” and plain shooter doubles is somewhat depressed but Not So for “collectible” (high condition, small bore, and graded) doubles, especially Parker.

Milton C Starr 08-23-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 279805)
The market for “run of the mill” and plain shooter doubles is somewhat depressed but Not So for “collectible” (high condition, small bore, and graded) doubles, especially Parker.

That is something I have noticed , the small bores seem to be the most popular . Is that because most people who are big collectors mostly hunt game like quail or pheasant ? It seems like the big gauges dont move any where near as quick as the 20s and 28s .

Dean Romig 08-23-2019 12:27 PM

That’s only part of the picture. Another part is that as bore size goes down, so do the quantity of guns produced in a particular gauge, thereby contributing to scarcity. Then, on top of that we have condition and grade - all aspects combined, fewer guns = higher demand = higher value and more collectible as a consequence.