Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Georgia Quail (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26393)

Rich Anderson 01-29-2019 11:10 AM

Georgia Quail

5 Attachment(s)
Once again the Three Amigo's, Eric Eis, Mike Smith and myself went to Morrison Pines for what has become an annual event. This time I took Ike along for some experience and he didn't disappoint.

Ike handled himself well and at just 16 months he kept up with the more seasoned dogs. He found a cripple when the more seasoned cocker couldn't, went out for a single and pointed a covey, didn't whine or bark when left in the trailer.

We take a variety of guns along from English guns to our favorites the Parkers and the Foxes. All got to see action and we performed better with some than others on any given day.

I could go on and on about the points, the covey rises the hits and misses but I'll let some of the pictures tell the story.

Rich Anderson 01-29-2019 11:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
some more

Harold Lee Pickens 01-29-2019 12:17 PM

Been waiting for you to put some pictures up, very nice. Ike looks like he is coming along nicely. Bet you wish you had stayed down there, what with this artic blast coming thru, you are probably knee deep in snow now.

Rich Anderson 01-29-2019 12:29 PM

I finally got the snow blower out:cuss: It's definitely cold but Saturday is supposed to crowd 40.

This is a great hunt with excellent accommodations good guides and dogs. The birds fly fast and hard with covey's ranging from half a dozen to 20. When Mike and I hunt our dogs we are walking up birds no buggy riding.

In the overall scheme of a plantation hunt Morrison Pines is a bargain. We have rebooked for next year and added a day.

Garry L Gordon 01-29-2019 01:51 PM

Rich,

Boy, looking at pictures of quail hunting in shirtsleeve weather is a bit like peeking into the promised land for those of us snowed, iced, and frozen out of hunting.

Can you tell us about the back action hammer gun? And the Parker...?

Thanks for posting the photos. It's nice to look at them and dream a bit while sitting in from of the wood stove (cranked up high!).

Rich Anderson 01-29-2019 02:14 PM

Gary,
The only shirt sleeve day was Wednesday afternoon. Mornings saw hard frost and temps in the low 30's warming to mid to upper 40's. Perfect hunting weather and much warmer than MI right now:eek:

The hammer gun is a W. R. Pape 28ga 28 inch barrels IC/M. It's a dream on these hunts and a staple. The Parker is a CHE 20 with 26 inch Damascus barrels also IC/M. According to TPS it's one of eight so configured.

Garry L Gordon 01-29-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 264273)
Gary,
The only shirt sleeve day was Wednesday afternoon. Mornings saw hard frost and temps in the low 30's warming to mid to upper 40's. Perfect hunting weather and much warmer than MI right now:eek:

The hammer gun is a W. R. Pape 28ga 28 inch barrels IC/M. It's a dream on these hunts and a staple. The Parker is a CHE 20 with 26 inch Damascus barrels also IC/M. According to TPS it's one of eight so configured.

Thanks, Rich. Both of those guns look like they would be an absolute pleasure to carry on a plantation quail hunt (not to mention shoot!)...and choked just right for that second bird over a covey point.

Reggie Bishop 01-29-2019 03:43 PM

Always look forward to pics from this hunt! That CHE 20 is super nice!

Rich Anderson 01-29-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop (Post 264278)
Always look forward to pics from this hunt! That CHE 20 is super nice!

You should consider coming it's a great time.

Brett Hoop 01-29-2019 04:31 PM

Dang but it's a homer crowd when nobody mentions a Purdey!:shock: Love the photos. Love the CHE 20 also, so just put my name on the get to tag for one of those and let it be a surprise. All kidding aside, wonderful to see Ike coming along that would make the whole trip.