Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tick control (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22197)

Brett Hoop 09-09-2017 11:37 AM

Tick control

I would like to know what products and practices you have found to work best.

I have tried several products, currently using K9 AdvantixII. We keep Finn's hair cut short for training/hunting season. Easier to remove burrs and inspecting for ticks. I also bath him with a flea / tick soap after the hunt most days. All this with mixed results.

Considering Nexguard product, anyone using it?

What works best for your dog?
Do you use any topical sprays?
Where we hunt PA and starting this year MI deer ticks seem to be everywhere.

Dean Romig 09-09-2017 11:48 AM

I have always used Frontline on my dogs. If a tick happens to get on Grace and gets to her skin they can't move fast enough to jump off. If they happen to bite her they die before they can get off.

A white dog makes it a lot easier to see the ticks that may be in her fur and helps us prevent them from hitch hiking into the house where we might be their next target.

Kirk Potter 09-09-2017 01:04 PM

I do pretty much the exact same thing.. hair cut really short and K9 Advantix II, I've found it to work great so far. I'm not 100% sure but I think my vet told me that Advantix II was the only one that both killed AND repelled ticks. Also, I've got my dog the Lyme disease booster.

Daryl Corona 09-09-2017 03:22 PM

Nexgard. My vet says there has been a problem with Frontline so I switched. Works well so far. Heartguard for heartworms.

Stephen Hodges 09-09-2017 03:39 PM

I also cut the hair short and use Advantix II, but I also spray each dog with an all natural repellant that my wife found in our local pet store. I think it really helps.

Gary Laudermilch 09-09-2017 05:20 PM

I have always used Frontline plus. I will occasionally find an attached dead tick but not many. A good combing with a flea comb following each hunt. In recent years it is common to comb out 50+ from each dog.

Steve, I would be interested to know the name of the natural repellent product you use.

Stephen Hodges 09-09-2017 05:52 PM

Gary, I will find it. I put it away last fall in a place that I could find it easly:rotf:
But you know how that goes:)

Brett Hoop 09-09-2017 06:37 PM

Good feedback!

Karen just heard a Vet on talk radio mentioning spraying down the dog with Listerine.
Has anyone tried Listerine?

Matt Valinsky 09-09-2017 07:19 PM

I've had very good results with the Soresto collars the last two years.

Timothy Salgado 09-09-2017 09:09 PM

I use Bravecto for my dogs that my vet recommended two years ago, one pill every three months takes care of fleas and ticks. Before that I used Vectra 3D topical also obtained at the vet, that also repels mosquitoes. I hunt Eastern PA and found that both work well, I still go over my Labrador after each hunt and any I miss are laying dead in her crate the next morning.