Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   'K' stamp on flats?? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41456)

Alex Brushwein 03-14-2024 08:28 PM

'K' stamp on flats??

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

My Parker VH 16 Gauge has as near as I can tell, what appears to be a "KV" stamp on the barrel flats. See attached in the lower-left corner.

What does this reference?

Thanks,

- Alex

Dean Romig 03-14-2024 11:06 PM

That’s the inspector’s stamp. It was Charles A King, superintendant of the Parker Bros. Gun Works until 1910. His son Walter King followed his father as superintendant after 1910. The italicized f indicated “finished” or something to that effect.

Dave Noreen 03-15-2024 08:25 PM

I disagree. The early steel barrels have the K (Titanic & Acme) or Kf (Vulcan) stamp in the barrel steel location. I begin to see the V, P, P.S., T & A, usually in a circle in the 135xxx serial number range.

If the K and Kf were inspector's marks, why are they only seen on steel barrels? They aren't found on any Twist, Laminated or Damascus barrels.

Bruce P Bruner 03-15-2024 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 407471)
I disagree. The early steel barrels have the K (Titanic & Acme) or Kf (Vulcan) stamp in the barrel steel location. I begin to see the V, P, P.S., T & A, usually in a circle in the 135xxx serial number range.

Dave, what can you extrapolate from a blank circle? There is a sun stamped on the opposite side as is a “KG” & “P”.

Dean Romig 03-16-2024 04:18 AM

That, I believe is a set of barrels that were begun under Parker Bros. ownership in Meriden CT (hence the blank circle) bet the gun was finished under Remington ownership in Illion NY (hence the Remington starburst) Remington dropped the various names of barrel steel and I suspect the legend on the top rib, if there is even a legend, will not include the name of a barrel steel.

Bruce P Bruner 03-16-2024 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 407480)
That, I believe is a set of barrels that were begun under Parker Bros. ownership in Meriden CT (hence the blank circle) bet the gun was finished under Remington ownership in Illion NY (hence the Remington starburst) Remington dropped the various names of barrel steel and I suspect the legend on the top rib, if there is even a legend, will not include the name of a barrel steel.

You are correct Dean, no legend on the VR at all. Could I assume the barrels to be Titanic Steel? It may be just an unknown mystery.

Dean Romig 03-16-2024 07:12 AM

Bruce, I think you can make the assumption that the barrel flat was intended to be stamped with a T in that circle.

Alex Brushwein 03-16-2024 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 407471)

Ok, so this particular gun is S/N 124889 (1904 date), which would align with your S/N range listed above.

What were they specifying at that time with these stamps? Is it as Dean suggested? That would make sense to me. Here I was thinking the 'f' was a mis-stamped V... I should have known better :knowbetter:

I appreciate the responses and the info!

Dave Noreen 03-16-2024 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce P Bruner (Post 407478)
Dave, what can you extrapolate from a blank circle? There is a sun stamped on the opposite side as is a “KG” & “P”.

Everything about those barrels say they were completed late in the Remington era -- the PARKER GUN WORKS in the OVERLOAD PROVED stamp -- the Remington date code KG K = May G = 1938 -- the serial number on the left barrel flat -- and the marks we assume to be Remington inspector marks.

Dave Noreen 03-16-2024 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Brushwein (Post 407492)
Ok, so this particular gun is S/N 124889 (1904 date), which would align with your S/N range listed above.

What were they specifying at that time with these stamps? Is it as Dean suggested? That would make sense to me. Here I was thinking the 'f' was a mis-stamped V... I should have known better :knowbetter:

I appreciate the responses and the info!

People at Parker Brothers in the 1890s and early 1900s knew what those marks meant, but we can only speculate. We begin seeing the W.K in oval Walter King mark on the left barrel flat and still see the K and Kf in the barrel steel location in the low 130xxx serial number range.

Attachment 124434

Attachment 124435

My speculation is that the change from the K and Kf to the letters, usually in a circle, indicates a change in supplier of the rough steel tubes.