Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New barrels in the white, Remington maybe? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20102)

Brian Hornacek 10-31-2016 07:43 PM

New barrels in the white, Remington maybe?

10 Attachment(s)
I acquired these barrels this last weekend with other Parker parts and am wondering if anyone can tell me about them. In the white and unfit to a gun 28" long, 3" chamber, bore is 0.710 and 0.030 of choke. They fit on each of my 1 1/2 frame guns tight on face. The lug is uncut and the flats only have the marking you see on them which match the stamping style on my 242,000 late production Remington gun. An extractor and pair of ejectors fit well and would only need final work. Check hook screw hole is threaded, no dolls head and no barrel wedge??

Thanks!

Brian Dudley 10-31-2016 09:04 PM

Yup. NOS barrels sets. They surfsce from timt to time. This set would be for a 1-1/2 frame ejector gun with beavertail forend.
The rib extention is
Not het installed. This is now Parker did it. They would fit the barrels to a frame, then install rib extention last. They woild actually remove the last 2" or so of the rib and install the extention. The notch in the rib must have been there so the barrels could be held in fixturing when being machined.
I have found these before in 2 frame, and 1-1/2 frame. Just a couple months ago, i actually came into a set of 1/2 frame 12g barrels like this.

Your set looks to have had some external work done to them. Usually they are much more raw with a ton of excess solder on them.

Brian Hornacek 10-31-2016 09:08 PM

Thanks for the reply, who out there can finish the work needed to be done?

Brian Dudley 10-31-2016 09:14 PM

The biggest challenge with fitting up and using barrel sets like this is the rib and rib extension and the matting. There is no one that can matte the ribs.

I have found it easier to just remove the new rib completely and install a used rib and extension from another barrel. The issue here is finding one the right length with the desired barrel steel type marked on it.

Dean Romig 10-31-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 204542)
The biggest challenge with fitting up and using barrel sets like this is the rib and rib extension and the matting. There is no one that can matte the ribs.

The rib matting can be engraved. Yup, full length engraved matting has been done.

Phillip Carr 10-31-2016 11:43 PM

It might take a couple of fine barrel smiths to get these done. Dean Harris that owns Skeet's can absolutely fit up ejectors or extractors, bore the barrel and choke them perfectly. I would call Glenn Fewless about possible rib matting. I have not had him do a Parker but was given multiple options for a Merkel.

Brian Dudley 11-01-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 204543)
The rib matting can be engraved. Yup, full length engraved matting has been done.

I would like to see the results...

Brad Bachelder 11-01-2016 12:57 PM

The matting can be cut by CNC as well. We have the program but are not set up to run it. We do have pre-profiled 28" ribs with blank address lines. They are very close to original looking.

Brad

Bill Murphy 11-01-2016 04:28 PM

Oh, Brad, Brad, Brad. We would demand 32" or 34" ribs. Please comment.

Brian Dudley 11-01-2016 04:33 PM

I have posed this question before of Brad and did not get an answer. So i will pose it again...

Can original ribs be rematted by CNC?
Or does the contour of the rib have to be the same from rib to rib in order for the program to work by CNC?