Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A Grade Restoration Query (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25686)

Corey Barrette 11-14-2018 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See below the letter received related to this gun (and case)

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 06:51 AM

Very nice.

Most Parker research letters leave us with many unanswered questions and this one is no exception, but there it is - everything there is to know about this gun.

Thank you.

John Campbell 11-14-2018 08:48 AM

It appears as though this was a complete kit ordered from Parker. And it remains intact with the original LOM case. All of it for a notable figure in American history. Great find!

And please understand, that whatever issues the stock may have suffered through time can be totally remedied by one of the top craftsmen mentioned. And... the gun will be usable with reasonable cartridges, such as RST 1 oz. loads.

Finally, $425 in 1907 had the same buying power as $11,857.49 current dollars.

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 08:50 AM

But it would be impossible to have such a gun made today for only $11,858.00

keavin nelson 11-14-2018 08:53 AM

Definitely have the stock repaired. I shot my LC Ideal grade last thursday at SC that was almost as bad, it is holding fine after many rounds, and you can't see the repair which I did some years ago. No not lobbying for work, and I wouldn't take it on if asked. But the stock is at least half of the history, not to mention nice wood. Truly an extraordinary find!

Frank Childrey 11-14-2018 10:58 AM

You know, the more I look at that gun it just seems to me that someone tried to destroy it. Of course, we'll never know. But in any case, it's a real shame that it has surfaced in the condition that it is in.

Dean Romig 11-14-2018 12:21 PM

But it is fantastic that it has surfaced at all.

Mills Morrison 11-14-2018 12:33 PM

It is great that it has surfaced and will now be rescued. You just wonder what else lies out there waiting to be discovered as well

edgarspencer 11-14-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 258025)
I may be mistaken, but I believe the butt treatment, inside the SSBP, is leather, as was the case on many high grade Parkers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 258028)
The butt appears to have been shortened. The toe of the ssbp has been crudely ground down as it would be if the LOP was reduced (screws being put of whack too).

The wood area in the middle of the buttplate was re-inletted poorly and an attempt to stipple it was made instead of proper checkering.

Well then, I guess I was part right....... The part where I said "I may be mistaken,..." that's what I get for looking at pictures on my phone instead of my 24" monitor.

John Campbell 11-14-2018 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed. Without a hands-on examination, many aspects of an old gun can slip past the eye.

So, I thought I'd point out that the wrist of this gun has been repaired in the past (note the rectangular wood inserts in this enhanced pic). The failure of that repair (due to heavy loads?) led to further crack/split distress. But, all can still be saved.