Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A Grade Restoration Query (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25686)

Craig Larter 11-12-2018 06:38 PM

Corey you are a very fortunate man to be the caretaker of a unique Parker. Thanks for posting the pictures for us lovers of American gun art. The gun would maintain it's maximum value by having a top stock man repair the original stock in my opinion. Tell us a little more about how you came upon the gun. Craig Larter

Jay Gardner 11-12-2018 06:59 PM

That is a piece of history. Wow.

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 08:48 PM

Regarding the gun, my wife had seen advertised a gun cabinet that she knew I could use; having outgrown my existing 12 gun case by haf as many.

Upon stopping by to pick up the cabinet, I mentioned to the seller that I collected shotguns; most recently, for the past few years, Parkers. He mentioned that he knew there was a Parker, one of two guns in this family, that may be for sale. I took the pics while visiting and talking with him about it. He needed a bit of time and recently contacted me to discuss further. He wants it to go to a collector vs. a dealer.

So, at the end of the day, if it all works out, I can blame my wife for locating it and uncovering a fine gun and a bit of history. :rotf:

Certainly, my first, and likely only, experience with a ‘barn find’. Fascinating as well for me to be part of this organization and for the years of experience openly shared. All part of the magic. Thanks.

Mark Ray 11-12-2018 11:13 PM

Great story. As an aside, I have Pape english 12 that Dave Wolf repaired a smashed wrist on 20 years ago. I have shot many many 3 3/4-1 1/4 pigeon loads thru that gun, and have had no issues. It was at least as bad as that beautiful Parker!

Corey Barrette 11-12-2018 11:18 PM

If all works out, based on the feedback, that’s the route I’m likely to take. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

edgarspencer 11-13-2018 07:35 AM

Sometimes, a coincidence is just a coincidence.

Barrette Sharretts

Dave Noreen 11-13-2018 07:38 PM

There are bits of "grey matter" all over my office from my mind being blown!! What a great find!!

edgarspencer 11-13-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ray (Post 257914)
Dave Wolf in Waco Texas could fix that wrist and also restore the wood appearance inside the SSBP, and the repairs would probably be invisible...

I may be mistaken, but I believe the butt treatment, inside the SSBP, is leather, as was the case on many high grade Parkers.

Brian Dudley 11-13-2018 10:37 PM

The butt appears to have been shortened. The toe of the ssbp has been crudely ground down as it would be if the LOP was reduced (screws being put of whack too).

The wood area in the middle of the buttplate was re-inletted poorly and an attempt to stipple it was made instead of proper checkering.

Phillip Carr 11-13-2018 11:21 PM

To the untrained eye (mine ) it looked correct. It alway surprises me what other are able to detect from pictures. Really a cool Parker.
Looking forward to more pictures and information from the letter. Thanks for sharing.