Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The Silence is Deafening (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41315)

Dean Romig 02-26-2024 09:18 AM

The Silence is Deafening

1 Attachment(s)
How I long to hear Gracie ring her “Out” bell.
She would often ring it too when it was getting close to 5 PM when I would feed her the evening cup of kibble.

Though I have lots of “stuff” my house is quite empty…

Garry L Gordon 02-26-2024 09:49 AM

You need a puppy to help you as you deal with the loss of your Grace.

Daniel Carter 02-26-2024 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 406210)
How I long to hear Gracie ring her “Out” bell.
She would often ring it too when it was getting close to 5 PM when I would feed her the evening cup of kibble.

Though I have lots of “stuff” my house is quite empty…

I am pretty sure it is full of great memories. Time goes so slowly as we wait for it to dull those terrible losses. This is the cost of love, the price is high but where would we be without it? What would life be without them?

Dean Romig 02-26-2024 10:54 AM

I've been offered one of Gracie's grandpuppies born in late November but I just don't seem to be able to commit, knowing I'm 76 and will likely pass before he will. I had always thought Gracie and I would fade out of the hunting picture together, but cancer just seems to take take take...

I don't know - there's still time I guess.
Thanks my Friends,

edgarspencer 02-26-2024 11:23 AM

Dean, I struggled with that for a couple months, after Finn died, but went ahead because life without a dog was more than I could deal with. I have a theory, that few argue against, that a dog in your life makes you live longer.

Harold Lee Pickens 02-26-2024 12:27 PM

I'd take one of the puppies Dean, a female if I had the choice. She'd be ready to hunt with you by October.
Our little Huck dog jumps up and hits the bell by our back door when he wants out or wants fed.

Dean Romig 02-26-2024 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 406224)
I'd take one of the puppies Dean, a female if I had the choice. She'd be ready to hunt with you by October.
Our little Huck dog jumps up and hits the bell by our back door when he wants out or wants fed.

Same as Gracie always did… Kathy taught her that.

Marty Kohler 02-26-2024 02:13 PM

Puppy

Dean …Although I understand your sentiment….Don’t over think it….Do it…!

Seems you have many friends here…If you go before him her they will place her in a loving upland hunting home I am quite sure…

Pick a good one.

Good luck..

Ken Hill 02-26-2024 02:32 PM

Dean,

Hang in there! If you don’t mind caring for one Gracie’s pups you should get one. I’m sure you can find a good home for it if you need to.

Ken

Samuel Gross 02-26-2024 04:57 PM

New member here...Just my thoughts. I would not hesitate in your situation. Get the dog. Make friends with a neighbor with kids, and allow the dog to repeatedly get "lost" in that direction so the kids get attached. It won't take long to arrange for the pup if something happens to you. Let them take the pup foraging from time to time to seal it.

My wife has never relished having the responsibility of an animal. So when my kids were breaking out of being toddlers, my in-laws and I were forced to conspire, lest their grandkids go through life not knowing how wonderful it is with a dog by your side. At an agreed upon time, the in-laws were in "desperate" need for someone to watch their 1yr old pup for a few months while they moved. We had to help family. Within a couple of weeks everyone agreed the dog had to stay. Grandma took care of house-breaking and the basics when they got the pup months in advance to make sure it would be a done deal. The timing was also planned (conspired) so the pup would hopefully be sunsetting just after our youngest left for college. I plan to get a pup (or two) then so our sweet old girl can train them.
If you ask anyone, excluding the army of robot vacuums to keep up with the hair in my house, life is far better with a dog by your side.