Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   pistol grip cap (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20570)

Paul Harm 01-11-2017 08:30 AM

pistol grip cap

I was given a pistol grip cap marked Parker on the top and Ilion,N.Y. under it. It's made of a hard black material and I don't think it was ever used. Just wondering if they're common or not seeing it's in the time frame of Remington building Parkers. To think of what ever it was set up to product them, then only do it for a couple of years - at least someone had good intensions.

Brian Dudley 01-11-2017 09:22 AM

They were used on Ilion produced guns of course. So, not for very long. But given production stopping, i am sure that excess original parts got out into the market. And of course these caps are being reproduced as well.
But my guess would be that demand for these caps is pretty low since how many of the few Ilion produced guns are needing restocked or their caps replaced. ??

Dean Romig 01-11-2017 09:55 AM

Production was stopped and there were probably hundreds moulded by the time production ceased.... who could have known that WWII would break out and all companies involved in the manufacture of munitions would immediately cease production of civilian arms?

Paul Harm 01-11-2017 05:26 PM

It's just of kind of cool to look at, being a Parker part that was never used. Just think I'll slide it over a small finish nail and hang it in my reloading room so I can look at it every time I reload. Hey, maybe I can buy a Parker that needs one. I've kind of done that with pistols. Buy some ammo at a good price for a gun I don't have - then buy a gun for the ammo. It works every time.

Dean Romig 01-11-2017 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another interesting one, though it was probably used on other guns made by Remington as well and possibly some later work they may have done on Parkers after production ended.

I think this picture may show Brian Dudley's work bench.

Brian Dudley 01-11-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Harm (Post 209298)
It's just of kind of cool to look at, being a Parker part that was never used. Just think I'll slide it over a small finish nail and hang it in my reloading room so I can look at it every time I reload. Hey, maybe I can buy a Parker that needs one. I've kind of done that with pistols. Buy some ammo at a good price for a gun I don't have - then buy a gun for the ammo. It works every time.

I am in the process of trying to put together a complete collection of New old stock parts for Parkers so that i can put together a display. I currently have about 85% of what i need.

Dave Suponski 01-11-2017 07:26 PM

Dean, I have seen that grip cap on Remington F Grade 1100's

Dean Romig 01-11-2017 08:03 PM

I'm not surprised at all Dave.