Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hunting with hammers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23148)

edgarspencer 01-14-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 232782)
You're just jealous that I used to shoot skeet with Bill Foster...:whistle:.

Why would I be jealous? I'm not jealous that you shot skeet with Annie Oakley and Frank Butler.

Rick Losey 01-14-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 232808)
Why would I be jealous? I'm not jealous that you shot skeet with Annie Oakley and Frank Butler.

that would have been trap :corn:

Skeet having not been invented in his younger days

edgarspencer 01-14-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 232809)
that would have been trap :corn:

Skeet having not been invented in his younger days

Yes, Thank you for pointing that out to me, but I actually meant to say 'Skeet', my failed attempt to inject more than one complexity into my humor. As my most valued critic, I will run any further attempts by you beforehand.

Mills Morrison 01-16-2018 09:35 AM

Shooting a hammer gun is different from shooting a hammerless gun and there are different sets of reflexes you have to develop. That has been my experience.

todd allen 01-22-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 232664)
I have told of my method in past posts...

When I'm in the woods or field hunting my tubes are charged, my hammers are both cocked and my action is open. When I walk in on a point, or in the case of no dog, enter the cover, the action is then closed and my trigger hand cupped over the triggers and guard so no errant branch or twig can trip a trigger, and muzzles held skyward. When not in the cover my gun is always open and I can let the hammers down with no danger of a discharge if a hammer slips from my thumb.

A lifter is ideal for this method but a top-action works just as well as long as the action can be opened with the right hammer remaining cocked - not all top-action hammer guns can be opened with the right hammer cocked.

That's been my system with hammer guns, as well. One of the things I love about lifters, btw. Oh, and fishtail top levers rule!

Mike Koneski 01-23-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 232664)
I have told of my method in past posts...

When I'm in the woods or field hunting my tubes are charged, my hammers are both cocked and my action is open. When I walk in on a point, or in the case of no dog, enter the cover, the action is then closed and my trigger hand cupped over the triggers and guard so no errant branch or twig can trip a trigger, and muzzles held skyward. When not in the cover my gun is always open and I can let the hammers down with no danger of a discharge if a hammer slips from my thumb.

A lifter is ideal for this method but a top-action works just as well as long as the action can be opened with the right hammer remaining cocked - not all top-action hammer guns can be opened with the right hammer cocked.

My M.O. exactly.

Mark Ray 01-24-2018 03:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As the kids say these days, “same”.

Dean Romig 01-24-2018 03:21 PM

Okay Mark, you need to tell us about that 28 gauge gun.... please?

Mark Ray 01-24-2018 03:46 PM

Glad to Dean! It is one of my absolute favorite guns. It is a London "guild" gun, originaly made in the late 1880's. Back Action, 28 bore Hammer Gun with very finely struck 30" barrels. the gun has nice dimensions with only 2 " drop at heel, and weighs a hefty 4lbs, 7oz. It was re-proved in the 1930's in London for 2 1/2" nitro at 3 tons, and is choked 550" in the right, and 556" in the left. The gun was probably refreshed in the 30's when re-proof, and then put away, as it is literally a 95% finish gun. It is marked AW Gamage on the action plates and rib. AW Gamage was a very high end Department Store in London in the 1800's thru the better part of the 20th century. Kirk Merrington looked the gun over, and said that it is a dead ringer for a Purdy of that vintage. I need to get the gun back to Kirk, as it has begun "doubling" if both hammers are cocked. Funny, I have taken very few photos of this gun, maybe ill pluck it from the case this evening and take a few. Even with the diminutive 2 1/2" RST's, the gun is a death ray for doves. I shot a limit of Snipe with the gun this year, and it is my "go to" Quail gun along with my little Mark DeHaan .410.

Dean Romig 01-24-2018 03:49 PM

Thanks Mark - I can't wait to see more pictures.