Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Man's Best Friend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   My Maggie (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27294)

Matt Valinsky 05-11-2019 07:44 PM

My Maggie

4 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post a couple pictures of my Maggie. Picture #1 is Maggie up in Wisconsin 3 years ago at 2.5 years of age. First day hunting and less than 20 minutes being down and she is on point. I flushed up a grouse and I mmmisssssed.

#2 Maggie on point here in Ohio on a wild pheasant. We still have pockets of them around the state.

#3 Maggie at 2 years old on a training day doing some backing drills.

#4 Kind of a group picture here. What's the big deal of a picture of one grouse up in the UP? Well, Maggie worked that bird about as good as I've ever seen a grouse dog work a bird. She relocated 6 or 8 times on that bird and pinned it. I expected at any time she would get in to close with to much pressure and bump the bird, she didn't, I guess she knows what she is doing. She was 4 years old for this hunt. Maggie is about as good a grouse dog as I could ask for.

Last year we stayed in state to hunt but this year the plans are Maine and Nova Scotia. My Gus dog is really showing to becoming a good dog, actually he is a bit ahead of Maggie at the same age. He will be making the trip also.

Dean Romig 05-11-2019 07:56 PM

Maggie is a real beauty Matt!

Gary Laudermilch 05-11-2019 09:48 PM

Good looking gal. Relocating on a running grouse without bumping it is the mark of a true grouse dog.

Matt Valinsky 05-12-2019 09:11 AM

Thanks Dean, not bad for a Barre MA. gal.

Gary, She had relocated on birds many times before but not like this time. As I said, at least 6 or 8 times before the John the guy holding the bird was able to flush it out and get the shot. I was pretty excited about how Maggie worked that bird and the amount of time she worked it. John just said "she did what she was meant to do". John is owned by Maggie's mother a bit of a legend in my mind. First time I hunted over her about 8-9 years ago back home I was amazed, she was a Partridge hunting machine, never had hunted over a setter like that before. Told John that if he was ever to have her bred I'd like a chance on a pup. That is another story for another day on how this pup picked me out.

Gary Laudermilch 05-12-2019 10:35 AM

Matt, good grouse dogs do not come along every day. Oh, there are a bunch that are reasonably good but the very good ones all share a common trait. The brains to handle moving birds. They either have it or they don't. It is the one thing that is difficult to train for.

I don't care all that much about shooting birds any more. But, I never tire of watching a good grouse dog demonstrate his/her ability to handle grouse. I know how pleased you were to witness Maggie at her best. I've been there many times and they all still bring a smile to my face.

Enjoy!

Matt Valinsky 05-12-2019 05:16 PM

I think your right about a dog needing to have the brains to handle moving birds and putting that part together. I've worked Gus on liberated quail and I honestly think he is going to work a moving bird. Having said that, the intensity level of a dog working a wild bird is off the charts compared to a liberated bird so time will tell with him. This will be his first year on wild birds, as much as I wanted him on wild birds last year he just wasn't ready mentally for it. I'm pretty slow with bringing my dogs along and try very hard not to put them in situations where they can easily fail.

Garry L Gordon 05-12-2019 05:59 PM

Beautiful dog. I suggest you keep a hunting log or journal for your trips afield with this dog. You will be so happy you did in years to come when you will be able to "go back" and be reminded of your hunts over such a fine dog.

Matt Valinsky 05-12-2019 07:08 PM

Garry, good idea about a journal. When I graduated from the university in 1977, my graduation present to myself was a Johnny Crocket grand daughter. It was also the year I started writing a journal, so yes, a very good idea.

She is indeed a cute one, right now she is allowing me to share her recliner.

Gary Laudermilch 05-12-2019 07:13 PM

Ok Matt, you've blessed us with pictures of Maggie. Gus is feeling slighted so how about a picture or two of Gus.

Matt Valinsky 05-12-2019 07:26 PM

Gary, go down 6 threads from this one to "my Gus Dog", you will find a couple there.